Horsepower requirement for offset harrow

/ Horsepower requirement for offset harrow
Texasmark, have you seen any of the Industrias America equipment? They say Texas is loaded with it. Charlie.

/ Horsepower requirement for offset harrow #32  
Texasmark, have you seen any of the Industrias America equipment? They say Texas is loaded with it. Charlie.
Possibly have 2 or 3 pieces...What would help. I'm ready for bed, obviously suff is outside. I have some Italian, Indian, part Chinese, Turkish newer things; drum mower, basket rake, tedder, roto tiller, replacement discs for my tillage implements.

Well I bought one , we'll see how she does here in a few weeks, seems to be well made. IMG_20170411_193146767.jpg

I thought I would update the thread since I have cut about 20 acres with the new offset in the last few weeks, first off I'm glad I didn't go any bigger than the 8'9" harrow with the 24" blades as it would have been to much, my tractor pulls it great in the heavy black soil, but in the soft sandier soil it's all it want's if you make more than one pass, the good thing is I can put the tires down a little and it eases up the strain on the tractor. 4x4 makes a difference to , the only thing that I am probably going to try to do is rig me up a filler blade to help fill the furrow that it leaves on the right side. I hope this information helps someone in the future. Charlie.

/ Horsepower requirement for offset harrow #35  
That is a really nice heavy harrow. We used an old Taylor Way 8 footer with our 60 HP Ag tractors as secondary tillage after plowing and it was a good match. You've got a lot of disc there and I am sure that it will load you up in sandy soil.

/ Horsepower requirement for offset harrow #36  
If you go the same direction each time you should fill in the furrow that was left the previous pass.

That is a really nice heavy harrow. We used an old Taylor Way 8 footer with our 60 HP Ag tractors as secondary tillage after plowing and it was a good match. You've got a lot of disc there and I am sure that it will load you up in sandy soil.
It's supposed to be about 2,900lbs but I really like being able to get a field in good enough shape to plant millet or rye by just going over it one time instead of 3 or 4 with my leveling harrow, I can't believe I waited this long to get one.

If you go the same direction each time you should fill in the furrow that was left the previous pass.
My fields aren't square and I like being able to turn either way if I need to and a furrow filler would work great when I cut my ends, but you are right in what you say. I did learn one thing turning to the left works a lot smoother than turning to the right with the offset.

/ Horsepower requirement for offset harrow #39  
Be VERY careful if turning right. You are only supposed to turn left with an offset disc. If you turn right and turn too short, you can catch the disc frame on the right rear tire of the tractor.

I did that once many years ago, and it cost me a pair of ruined underwear and probably scared 3 weeks off the end of my life. When I turned around to look at the plow, it was climbing up the right rear tire one tread at a time. If I hadn't noticed it and pushed in the clutch when I did, it would have been right on top of me.

Be very, very careful.

Be VERY careful if turning right. You are only supposed to turn left with an offset disc. If you turn right and turn too short, you can catch the disc frame on the right rear tire of the tractor.

I did that once many years ago, and it cost me a pair of ruined underwear and probably scared 3 weeks off the end of my life. When I turned around to look at the plow, it was climbing up the right rear tire one tread at a time. If I hadn't noticed it and pushed in the clutch when I did, it would have been right on top of me.

Be very, very careful.
Fortunately enough the tongue on this harrow is long enough to keep that from happening, but I was concerned about enough that I tried every scenario the first day I used it just to be on the safe side, but when turning right if you let it down before you have it straight behind the tractor the disc dig in bad and put a strain on everything, turning to the left does work much better.