hot alternator wires

/ hot alternator wires #11  
Just a thought,
I'm sure you could retrofit the alternator to something more readily available. I stepped up to a GM 10si alternator off a chevy so I could run more acessories. My alt on my Jinma only put out 29 amps and not enough for spot lights and a electro/hydraulic pump I added. I found that GM alt and it bolted up pretty easy. Had to fabricate a bracket and wire up but the wiring was the easy part. Now I got output up to 80 amps. More than enough amperage and over the counter parts available to rebuild if needed.
You could go the single wire type but they usually require a high RPM to self excite the circuit so you have output. Diesels usually are low RPM and depending on pulley sizes/ratio's may or may not be enough RPM.

/ hot alternator wires #12  
a 10-si 3 wire job would work out great.. just add a diode to p1 from ignition switch to make it automagically excite.. and then no problems..

Soundguy

/ hot alternator wires
Thanks to Norm and Boustany, I found a new regulator (OEM) for $58 I think it's worth it to not try adapting something else. My question is to Norm; The meter was on AC showing 36V, should it have shown 36V DC and have a diode fried like boustany says might be the case. In that case is the alternater bad too?
Vernon (ELKMAN) Reynolds

/ hot alternator wires #14  
36v AC would be a normal output on the alternator before rectification. Some voltage is lost when it's rectified to DC and more is dropped due to the charging load.

Since you have a separate alternator and regulator charging system, all the electronics, i.e. diodes, SCR's, resistors, transistors etc., are in the regulator. Theres generally 4 diodes that make up the bridge rectifier and one or two more that are the blocking diodes, that is they keep the battery from discharging back though the regulator, wireing and alternator to ground when the engine's off. Sounds like one of these diodes in the regulator may be problem. Unfortunately theres no adj and no repair of it, it's an R&R repair.

As for the alternator, in your charging system all it does is to provide a voltage output dependant upon control from the regulator. Remove the regulator's control and the alternator will put out all it can make as the regulator controls the alternators output. 36vAC is normal for an unregulated alternator.

Switching and controlling all that current produces beaucoup heat, hense the cooling fins on the regulator.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on an OEM. Make sure it's properly mounted as it also uses frame ground.

Good luck
Volfandt

Volfandt

/ hot alternator wires #15  
I mostly have experience with cars not tractors, but I would suspect the dides are in, or very close to your alternator. I could be wrong here, but you can tell probably if there is a heavy wire (6 guage or 8 guage or so) going from the alternatore to the regulator. If it goes from the alternator or something close to the alternator (like a heavy metal box) then thats where the diodes are at.

Every alternator I've seen as long as I can remember the diodes are bolted directly onto the alternator. It would be my guess thats where yours are. Since diodes make AC into DC, and AC should measure 0 volts DC, if you measure AC then chances are the problem is with the dioes.

/ hot alternator wires #16  
I agree with Boustany, All alternators I have seen have the diodes built into the alternator. The only exceptions are those that have the alternator built in under the flywheel like small Briggs and other lawnmower type engines and smaller outboard engines.
All External Automotive type of alternators seem to have the diodes built in and an either an internal or external regulator.
Not familiar with your situation though.....
Ben

/ hot alternator wires #17  
Some Yanmars, (YM2000/240), have the rectifier in the alternator and will show unregulated, (20-40), DC voltage with the regulator unplugged. Others, (YM1610), have it in the regulator and will show unregulated AC, (20-40vac), with regulator unplugged. 'According to Hoye', there are 5 different regulators. Hope you got the correct one. A parts book or YM1401 owner could tell you for sure or you might check here for reference.

/ hot alternator wires #18  
Looking at the parts pics I see some most likely have the rectifier remotely mounted in the regulator due to the heat sinks on the case.
Some are obviously just regulators. Most rectifiers I've seen are installed inside the alternator to be cooled by the alt fan. Rectifiers do get hot. Thats why they tell you when using or done using a welder let the machine run for a few minutes to let them cool down
So I would guess his is a external type.

/ hot alternator wires #19  
Have any of you guys given thought to a permanent magnetic alternator with no diodes or rectifiers. How fast can these things churn and how much output can they provide before they get too hot? Can they be used to weld steel or to boil water and can they be rewound with thicker wire in the rotor? Has anybody experimented with this? Cheers and hope to hear from you soon. Very important.

crazy:D

Last edited:
   / hot alternator wires #20  
from what i know about alternators and the burning of wires this is almost always the regulator whether it be internal or external it is called going to full field which means the alternator is putting out every bit of enegry possible . this will burn wires and possibly cause fire to happen also. most of the time a bad rectifier/diode will cause a whining noise when they start going bad also a bad battery will cause the same effect because the alternator is trying to power some thing that is dead and will burn itself up trying to keep up also if this is done for a long period it will burn up the stator and at this point you will need to get a rebuild job. if you found a regulator for $58. and its o/e that was a good deal.