Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Well, the wimpy Canadian in me is sweating bullets today and it's only 75 degrees (23.5 c). I don't know how folks in the south of the US or other parts of the world can work when it gets so hot.

Any tips from experienced southern folks? Drink a lot of water, take breaks, visit the shade regularly, etc.

Heck, I can help you with 40 below and not blink an eye but get it up over 80 degrees and I'm a mess!!!

Last edited:
   / Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #2  
Jimmy, I wouldn't say "wimpy" Canadian when you can handle 40 below! When it gets hot around here I will usually drink lots of water, put a wet bandana around my neck and wear a straw hat but I have to admit I usually don't do that until it gets in the 90's. I guess it's all in what you're used to. Of course when it gets in the 100's I will only work in the morning and late evening if possible.

Jay

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #3  
It's tough but it only last a few months. AC, cold beer, women in bikinis...summer in the south is hard but we manage :)

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #4  
Well I was out mowing today well before 7am. Now I now why our ancesters were out doing chores before 6am. By 10 am this time of year we are looking for some shade to hide out under. The guy that invented AC must of been from the south. In the mid to upper 90's this week in the afternoons. Humidity is lower this week as no rain in a while but still high enough to make me sweat in less than 5 minutes.

I think I will still stick with our winters with the lows in the 40's and once or twice a year into the 30's.

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #5  
You get used to it if you live down here, or should I say you learn to deal with it, drinking a lot of water or gatorade helps keep you hydrated, I work for the power company and we work 10 hr days in fire resistant long sleeve shirts and rubber gloves, most of the time by 10 AM the tops of your boots will be soaked and white from the salt you sweat out, I always feel sorry for the roofers and the boys laying asphalt, they got hot tar and hot asphalt on top of the hot weather. Like somebody else said in my opinion if you can work in 40 below weather your pretty tough, I could'nt cut it until I could get used to it or may never get used to it as I have never had to deal with extreme cold of that nature.:eek:

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #6  
I'm old enough that I grew up without air-conditioning. There was no air-conditioning in our schools, our home, our vehicles, or the service station and auto parts store my dad owned. I was 19 years old when I first lived and worked in air-conditioned buildings.

I never liked the heat, but it really didn't bother me for many years. I used to hear about how hard the heat was on old folks and didn't really understand why it was harder on them than on the younger ones, but now I'm amongst those old folks who find the heat oppressive.

So, much like Uncle Doug said, I do whatever I'm going to do and I'm through by 10 a.m.

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #7  
I'm old enough that I grew up without air-conditioning. There was no air-conditioning in our schools, our home, our vehicles, or the service station and auto parts store my dad owned. I was 19 years old when I first lived and worked in air-conditioned buildings.

I never liked the heat, but it really didn't bother me for many years. I used to hear about how hard the heat was on old folks and didn't really understand why it was harder on them than on the younger ones, but now I'm amongst those old folks who find the heat oppressive.

So, much like Uncle Doug said, I do whatever I'm going to do and I'm through by 10 a.m.

Hey Bird, I'm one to gravitate to the "good old days" and understand what you're saying about the air conditioner. I grew up with water (swamp) coolers in the house and eventually we did get a big window unit when I got older. Of course this was just good enough for one room in those days. I guess you can relate to what old Red Steagall says that, "if you really want to go back to the good old days, turn off your air conditioner!":D

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #8  
the best way i have found to handle the heat is to get out and start working early before it gets to hot (in the summer here in sc it will be in the 80's at 6 am) drink lots of water take breaks often and stay out of the ac there is nothing worse than getting hot then cooling off then have to go back in the heat

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #9  
Well, we're in for some hot, humid weather the next few days. I was working in the shop doing clean up and was sweating so bad my shirt turned totally wet in short order. Drank a lot of water!
No complaints though. The worst I've ever worked in was 122 degrees in Palm Springs, Ca. doing vehicle recovery. The asphalt began to soften, so we had to call a halt and Cal Trans closed the highway to all traffic.

/ Hot temps, don't know how southerners do it #10  
I grew up with water (swamp) coolers in the house

We only had one and it was in a window in the living room.

But when I was 19 and started working a night shift and trying to sleep in the daytime, I got a little portable swamp cooler that held a gallon of water and I'd set it on a stool right by the bed so it was blowing right in my face.