House addition-- housezilla

/ House addition-- housezilla #1  

mojoinco

Platinum Member
Tractor
TN55
Hello, wife and I are starting the process to add on to our 1960's tri-level. 25' wide, about 2' wider on the upper story than the garden level basement (on one side). The addition will add about 16' of space to the upper floor.

The goals are: master bath, closet space, larger bedrooms (3). Anyhow, just starting out with an architect and have a few foundation questions:

We are seriously considering adding an 'outside access only' basement addition, as the current basement is fine. Why? Not much more money as the extension wall needs to look finished on the outside anyhow (can't have a ~16' extension hanging in mid air).

The basement addition would be an easy walk out, as the floor would be about 2' above the apron in front of my shop.

Question 1: I need to identify the existing basement wall/foundation depth below the floor. Other than a pick/tractor/shovel and digging a hole, any other methods to determine this? 1970 build, no engineering data available.

Question 2: As far as I recall, the below grade concrete needs to be water proofed (asphalt based spray?). So how much beyond the wall does the footprint of the hole need to be? And, are the footings just poured to fill a trench (below slab grade)?

Question 3: As we have a small skidsteer and a tractor to do the dirt work, who typically digs the footing trenches below slab grade? The foundation contractor?

Question 4: Would a walk out be cheaper than doing some other sort of door to the garden level addition? Wood and siding seem cheaper to me than poured concrete. Other value considerations, but looking at the bottom line.

I am sure to add more questions later!