House Build 2023

/ House Build 2023 #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
It's looking like we may be able to break ground in the next couple of months. Prices are high - high, but Mrs. LBBJ is DONE with living in the temporary mobile home. I don't think waiting in the short term is going to benefit us. The house went up $100,000 since we had it quoted in December 2020. I don't see it going down appreciably in the next couple years. I'm being told wood is at the new normal. The only things I see that have potential to go down enough to matter would be wire and pipe. I think anything else especially, non commodity items, are probably as good as they are going to get unless something bad happens.

So anyway, I've talked to the bank. I've talked to a mentor/ friend that is in finance about our personal finances. We are getting a 2nd round of quotes. Then we should be off to the races. I may do kind of a build thread here. I'm going to be doing a lot of the dirt and driveway work myself so there should be opportunity for excavation equipment pictures.

The red square is supposed to be the shop. But with prices being what they are it is going to have to wait.
Screenshot 2023-05-04 160746.png

House plans 1.pngHouse plans 2.png

/ House Build 2023 #2  
I really like your floorplan a lot. Very well thought out with plenty of storage. Putting the laundry right next to the Master Closet makes a lot of sense. My laundry is inside my Closet. We just pull it out of the dryer and hang it up!!!

The only thing that jumps out at me is those French Doors. Have you ever dealt with them before? I personally hate them because of all the issues with air leakage after they break in and the seals wear out. I've installed them for elderly people that later on asked me to remove some of the seals so they could open and close them easier.

When I redo my front door, I'm putting in a 42 inch door. 36 inch front doors always seem to be borderline too small to get stuff in and out of the house. I've been in one house with a 42 inch door and it was so much nicer to just walk through while carrying stuff.

And just my personal taste, but I think that massive gable over the front door is way too big.

/ House Build 2023 #3  
Always exciting times when building a new home. Good luck with your project. (y)

I'll agree with double opening doors. I've never seen them work as advertised over time. I'd be happier with a wider main door and a floor to ceiling window panel next to it. However, to each their own. ;)

/ House Build 2023 #4  
We hav a set of Anderson series 400 double doors for the entrance to the basement and another one for the main floor entrance. We like the locking mechanisms for those doors. Not your typical thumb latches top and bottom. Similar but controlled via a lever like the main half. Yes we did use a 42" door for the stairs to the basement steps which are 48" wide. Possible stair chair in future? But I hear personal elevators are becoming available. Jon

/ House Build 2023 #5  
Good luck with the build! We're in the later stages of a build started back in November, and I agree with you on the pricing. Lumber is down considerably from the bids we got back in 2021/early 2022, but steel, copper, and a number of other items are still up (metal roof prices are crazy expensive). Labor has gone up around here quite a bit as well.

We have french doors out to our back (screened) porch, largely to be able to open both and make it feel like part of the living space in nice weather (it's off the dining room/kitchen). I'm now curious to see what I think long-term given the comments above. We did go with 3pt locks on them, so hopefully they seal better than "standard" doors.

Can't tell which direction is north in your plans, but one suggestion on the floor plan - it might be nice to have windows on two walls in the bedrooms vs just one if you like natural light.

/ House Build 2023
It looks like the house build is a go. I got preliminary assessment projections from the bank and to have 80% equity and avoid PMI my out of pocket is less than I expected. We are switching builders, I still have to let the original one know though... I'm not looking forward to that. Nothing against him but we realized one of our church members that I have been acquainted with for several years has been building houses for 20 years. We needed another quote for due diligence so we had him quote it. His price was a bit less, but the bigger thing is that he was much quicker with communication and provides more detailed information. I'm very analytical, the new builder is as well. The original builder is more of a scratch pad on the truck hood kind of guy. I have no doubt that he would build a quality house but my wife is much more comfortable with the new builder and I am as well.

I think we have decided to go to a single door in the back. I'll look into a larger single front door, I don't really care either way. Not really sure if my wife does or not. They are going to be fiberglass not wood so that will help either way.

Front door faces north. I'll check on a window on the west side of the master. That also doesn't really bother me either way.

We combined a couple different plans we found and added in our own taste. Originally the front center gable was just a few feet wide. We like the look of the larger one. But the main reason for it to follow, or guide, the vault in the great room. It's also going to be mostly windows. We were advised to make the pitch shallower though and we will probably do that, so it will shrink some.

/ House Build 2023 #7  
Nice plans

/ House Build 2023 #8  
I'm a remodel and repair kind of contractor. I look at quite a few homes every year where the home owner hired a contractor and things didn't go as they had hoped. In every case, they realized fairly soon that they made a mistake in who they hired, but they felt committed to getting the project done and they kept hoping things would get better. Very rarely do they fire the contractor, they either wait for him to finish, or the contractor just disappears when it gets too bad to continue.

When I'm hired to fix those jobs, it's usually a series of silly mistakes that nobody caught, or went back to fix. Then it builds from there, either trying to hide the mistake, or just not having a clue that they had messed up. Either way, the results are obvious.

If you start to question what your contractor is doing, or telling you, that is a very big sign that you need to start paying closer attention to what's happening. If they get mad or upset by your questions, that means you have made them nervous. If they tell you they are doing something because it's code, or they cannot do it because it's code, double check that because blaming code is for what they are doing is also very common.

/ House Build 2023 #9  
First congratulations on the build. When we built our current hose had a church member who really thought he was to be my builder. Had seen several houses he had built and were very pleased with them. Then realized had another home builder who had not talked with and also knew his work and were more impressed with him. We really preferred him and his wife team. Did not know how to tell the first one he was not going to get the job. God took care of it for us, he went to work for a commercial construction company and he told me I am sorry will not be able to build your house. Thank you Lord!

Our house in sunny south also faces almost due north. We have an open floor plan and also have dormer over the dinning area of it, not the full open area but we had a bedroom wing that the gable end faced the same direction preventing a full width dormer. I like your wide dormer. One thing our dormer has surprised us positive is how much sunlight and moon light comes into a also dead North facing dormer. Do install outlets in the dormer for such as Christmas lights with light switch normal height.

Yes, laundry room near master bedroom is smart. Be sure to build it large enough for tv, small refrigerator, ironing board, folding table, recliner so you are able to "work" in there when you need peace and quite. We made some mistakes in our laundry room, smaller than wish it was plenty large for washer dryer (full size) laundry sink, reasonable cabinet and shelf room, but wish it was at least 50% bigger for the ironing and folding. Also, be sure to have the shortest duct run. We should had our appliances on the opposite wall. Bath room near laundry room is great.

/ House Build 2023 #10  
Agree with all those who suggest going to single door on the north wall, vs the double doors. They look nice from the street, but waste a ton of energy and space inside.

Only other thing that stood out to me was your water heater closet. Go with an outdoor tankless mounted near the laundry room and master bath. You'll never run out of hot water, and you'll get it fast. My gas bill in the summer (running tankless only and a dryer) is <$20/month. Delete the water heater closet in the garage.

And if you have a pick-up (or ever will have one) make your garage depth at least 25' inside. Neighbor bought a new F150 and it was 6" longer than his old one, and wouldn't fit in his garage on his $500k house. Bummer.