House construction $$$$$$$$?'s

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #1  

KennethBrown

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5500
I am looking to have a house built. I need a contractor to completely dr=in the structure- fully sided, windows, doors, tar paper on roof, etc. No interior work except for stud walls. The foundation (pier) will already be there for them. The living area (which is all that I want framed, no porches) is 1815 sqft. It is 2 story with a 30X31 footprint. Any idea on costs per sqft? I need labor prices only. I have a freind who is a general contractor in South Texas who has all of his done for about $5.25 a sqft. I got my first bid and it worked out to $13.51 a sqft! ): Just wondering if my first bid was way too high or what. What do you think? This is in the central Texas area, halfway between Waco and Palestine.

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #3  
Turn key solutions in VA run from 125.00 to 200.00 a square foot.

If I saw your prices I would not think them to be reality in these parts.

Wow.
-Mike Z.

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s
Turn key here goes from 60.00 up to about 130.00. The cost of living here is pretty cheap compared to lots of places.

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #5  
KennethBrown said:
I am looking to have a house built. I need a contractor to completely dr=in the structure- fully sided, windows, doors, tar paper on roof, etc. No interior work except for stud walls. The foundation (pier) will already be there for them. The living area (which is all that I want framed, no porches) is 1815 sqft. It is 2 story with a 30X31 footprint. Any idea on costs per sqft? I need labor prices only. I have a freind who is a general contractor in South Texas who has all of his done for about $5.25 a sqft. I got my first bid and it worked out to $13.51 a sqft! ): Just wondering if my first bid was way too high or what. What do you think? This is in the central Texas area, halfway between Waco and Palestine.
Around here (Oregon), just the framing will cost you in the $5.75-$7.00 range, that does not include the foundation, roof, siding, grading, etc. I am thinking that with the foundation and roof, you would be somewhere north of $10.00 for labor alone.

In addition, you will probably want the plumbing, electrical and HVAC done first before you roof and side as those guys will cut lots of holes into your roof and side of your house to get their vent pipes, electrical boxes and outlets, lights, etc.

Derek

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s
Foundation is already done. Plumbing and electrical will be done by yours truly. HVAC is a contractor at a later date. Only requirement before roofing is to put the vent stacks in place so they can flash around them when they roof.

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #7  
   / House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #8  
hilld said:
Around here (Oregon), just the framing will cost you in the $5.75-$7.00 range, that does not include the foundation, roof, siding, grading, etc. I am thinking that with the foundation and roof, you would be somewhere north of $10.00 for labor alone.

In addition, you will probably want the plumbing, electrical and HVAC done first before you roof and side as those guys will cut lots of holes into your roof and side of your house to get their vent pipes, electrical boxes and outlets, lights, etc.

Derek

I agree with derek on the labor rates, but do not do your electrical before the roof and siding is on. Here in new hampshire I have seen State Inspectors make electrical contractors rip out all romex wiring because it was done before siding and windows were on, nevermind the roof.

That $5.75 number is a good labor rate for the labor on the frame only. It would not include the roof or materials or siding.

Puck

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #9  
Wow!!! Prices have gone up.

I had a contractor do the same thing for me 4 years ago and I paid $3.00 a square foot for everything under roof. That was completely dried in with tar paper on the roof. We had 4400 square feet under roof and the framing labor was $13,200. This was on Lake Fork which is about 1.5 hours East of Dallas.

No way I would pay $13.51 for that. You might find a framer yourself and find out what he charges before you put him in contact with the contractor. $5.25 a foot would be a 43% increase during that 4 year span. I might have to quit my job and start framing houses if the going rate is $5.25...

Good luck.

/ House construction $$$$$$$$?'s #10  
ocaj11 said:
Wow!!! Prices have gone up.

I had a contractor do the same thing for me 4 years ago and I paid $3.00 a square foot for everything under roof. That was completely dried in with tar paper on the roof. We had 4400 square feet under roof and the framing labor was $13,200.

Did that price include installation of siding and windows and doors?