House voltage varying up and down

/ House voltage varying up and down #11  
I once had varying voltage in the house....would set off my computer UPS battery backups sireen. ...turned out to be in the transformer on the pole at the house. Net, the power company should deal with it.

/ House voltage varying up and down #12  
What you are describing sounds like a bad connection on your neutral line. Since this problem is in common with your neighbor's house I would suspect it is back at the pole. You need to call the power company A.S.A.P. Bad connection problems tend to get worse. Soon your electronics and appliances will burn out.

/ House voltage varying up and down
Utility company was here, by the time they came the voltage had returned to 120v on both legs (naturally) but given my description and the fact that two houses were involved, the guy went ahead and redid the neutral connections at the pedestal and pole. He said there's still a chance it's a problem with a neutral further upstream, but unless the problem returns that's as much as they can do. Thanks to all for the quick responses.

I think I figured out why turning on the coffee pot could make lights get brighter. The lights were on leg at 105v, coffee pot on leg at 135v. When pot is turned on it changes the voltage on the neutral wire, causing the difference between neutral and the 105v leg to increase, hence a brighter burning light. I thought I was losing my mind when I saw that.

/ House voltage varying up and down #14  
If your getting hi/ low voltage on both your phases when putting load on them you defiantly have a neutral problem. Like others said if your neighbor is havong the same problem than its probably at the pedestal or transformer. You could also have a fault in the IRd neutral. The utility can put load on your meter socket ( the beast) and check for a voltage Imbalance ( if they know how).

/ House voltage varying up and down #15  
Usually the problem is a bad common wire connection in the service panel.

This is most likely the problem. A loose connection on the common/neutral wire can be in the service panel, or the meter, or on the overhead or underground connection points. This bad connection could be anywhere between your house & the transformer, and it is a serious problem. Don't waste any time getting it checked out!

/ House voltage varying up and down #16  
electrician here... ive seen that alot of times. always has been related to a neutral. Hope they get the problem fixed. good luck

Went and looked today in the daylight at what the guy did. The neutral wire coming off the transformer that's hanging on the pole has a new shiny connector that attaches it to the wire that runs down the side of the pole. He also told me he redid the neutral connection in the pedestal, but I can't see anything inside the box. Hopefully this solved the problem. I was surprised how quick they came, I don't think it took more than an hour for the service truck to show up.

/ House voltage varying up and down #18  
The neutral floats when you lose it so now you essentially have two 120 volt devices in series. I tell people it is like having a poltergeist in their house. If it happens again unplug electronic stuff as they will fry. Check the neutral in your panel and grounding circuit too unless you feel the utility co. solved the problem.

The neutral floats when you lose it so now you essentially have two 120 volt devices in series. I tell people it is like having a poltergeist in their house. If it happens again unplug electronic stuff as they will fry. Check the neutral in your panel and grounding circuit too unless you feel the utility co. solved the problem.

I checked my own connections, they're fine. If I had been thinking when this happened I would have also checked the other neighbor's voltage because he's not on the same transformer as the two of us. If his voltage was bad too it would have been clear the problem was in the neutral line coming down the street and not just at our transformer or pedestal. If this happens again I'll do more diagnosis.

/ House voltage varying up and down #20  
........ If his voltage was bad too it would have been clear the problem was in the neutral line coming down the street.........

Is there a neutral wire that comes down the street? I think that I've just got two high tension wires and the "neutral" is created at the transformer.