How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
They ran it a year ago on my cousins farm in Lebanon, SD. He said he was impressed at the piece of equipment but would never have one. Everything locked into one piece of equipment - if it is down what do you do? Especcially up north the growing season has limited days and if you miss a week it is big dollars.
I agree. To many things to break on one machine. I have one machine to tow my snow implements with so when its down, everything stops. Do we know why the "New Idea" system failed?

/ How agriculture works thread #972  
The machine used to turn the acres of chicken compost piles here looked something like this. After a short time something went wrong, service trucks had it apart working on it for over 2 weeks, then it was hauled away and replaced with a more simple payloader front attachment machine.
Selbstfahrender_Mietenumsetzer_Self-Propelled_Windrow_Turner_BACKHUS_A_75_Produkt-45040620.jpg

/ How agriculture works thread #973  
I agree. To many things to break on one machine. I have one machine to tow my snow implements with so when its down, everything stops. Do we know why the "New Idea" system failed?
New Idea were great machines for certain things, i.e. picking corn, chopping silage, etc. but it took about a day to change it over and get it all tuned up and ready and if it rained your power unit was tied up whereas with a pulltype unit the tractor could be unhooked and used elsewhere. Also one of their specialties - picking corn - just disappeared as everybody went to combines for faster grain handling. Then self-propelled silage cutters went huge and New Idea missed it as they were trying to bring the whole system along whereas Deere and the other competition just grew the chopper by itself.