How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
This historical one is near and dear to my heart but I had no idea that a couple of farm boys developed the skid steer in western MN.

/ How agriculture works thread #953  
   / How agriculture works thread #954  
At age 21 John Deere's son Charles assumed nearly total control of the financial end of the business, freeing his father to run the manufacturing side.

Having weathered the company’s many money problems, Charles Deere looked forward to the 1860s. He expanded the general catalog and even embellished it with a few woodcut illustrations of the gold medals recently awarded to John Deere walking plows. Tempering Charles’ enthusiasm, his father offered him sound advice in a letter:

“Bear in mind that keeping expenditures within income means self-respect, independence and a competency, while the reverse, expenditure beyond income, leads to mortification and ultimate failure.”

Charles must have taken his father’s advice seriously because the Deere & Company Archives has a handwritten note signed by Charles Deere stating that, “I will never from this Seventh day of February Eighteen Hundred Sixty AD put my name to a paper that I do not expect to pay—so help me God

/ How agriculture works thread #955  
It's impressive how Charles Deere took the reins at such a young age, balancing the financial side while his dad steered the manufacturing ship.

That advice from John Deere about managing expenditures is timeless wisdom, isn't it? "Self-respect, independence, and competency" – words to live by, even beyond the world of agriculture.

And how cool is it that Charles took his dad's advice to heart? That handwritten note adds a personal touch to the commitment.

Speaking of a personal touch, ever thought about exploring the concept of moulding in agriculture in the context of John Deere's legacy? Could be an interesting fusion of tradition and innovation!

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread #956  
One of the exhibits at the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago.

11.jpgimage_2024-01-25_191220296.png

/ How agriculture works thread #957  
I agreed yesterday to allow perennial peanuts be planted on my 20 acres of row crop land. Cotton was grown mostly in the past. The foliage will be cut & baled 2-3 times a year for high quality hay in this multi-year endeavor. These peanut varieties do not produce nuts. Some call it the Alfalfa of the South. This is new to me and going to be interesting. (I hope 😄) Example:
1706370682760.jpeg

/ How agriculture works thread #958  
Jethro, when you say, "allowed to be planted" is this land your leasing out? If so, how long is the lease? Reason I ask, is perineal peanuts have a pretty high initial cost, between seed costs, the PH required, ect. Or are we talking, you allowed yourself to get talked into planting? Not that it's bad, but it has a pretty high investment cost, and I wouldnt expect a traditional 3-5 year lease ground making it back? Maybe I'm wrong

People still do some, but not nearly as much, bale traditional peanut hay, but my understanding is, the sand wears the balers out pretty fast, making it not worth it.

/ How agriculture works thread #959  
Jethro, when you say, "allowed to be planted" is this land your leasing out? If so, how long is the lease? Reason I ask, is perineal peanuts have a pretty high initial cost, between seed costs, the PH required, ect. Or are we talking, you allowed yourself to get talked into planting? Not that it's bad, but it has a pretty high investment cost, and I wouldnt expect a traditional 3-5 year lease ground making it back? Maybe I'm wrong

People still do some, but not nearly as much, bale traditional peanut hay, but my understanding is, the sand wears the balers out pretty fast, making it not worth it.
Hi Pauls, I suppose I was being a bit facetious. The rather large peanut/cotton/cattle farmer who is also my neighbor approached me last week about him planting perennial peanuts on my fields for hay. We have been on a year-to-year handshake rental agreement for many years. He wanted me to commit to a minimum of seven year lease for this. He will bear all costs and effort. They will also be planting same for the first time on some of their unirrigated “corners” too. I believe I am in good hands. Very good folks.

A concern was the same view for multiple years from my porch. 😆. Thanks for your interest and concern.

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread
Iowa PBS made this film called "tractor wars" which is really the history mechanization of farms in the USA. What a great film! I had no idea Henry Ford had a large percent of the tractor market for X years but wouldn't update his design.. It is a hour long.