How are GOOD trailers wired?

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I'm working on building a heavy duty 5x10 utility trailer and I'm getting close to wiring it. I don't want to go cheap here since it seems like every other trailer I own the wiring is crap, lights work intermittently, and every time they have to be inspected I have to fix numerous connections, etc.

So, what is the preferred method for wiring a trailer? A couple things I can think of is to run every thing in conduit and avoid using any scotch lock connectors (solder everything I guess). Any other tips, pics, etc of good quality trailer wiring or how yall wired trailers you built would be great.

Thanks.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #2  
I'm working on building a heavy duty 5x10 utility trailer and I'm getting close to wiring it. I don't want to go cheap here since it seems like every other trailer I own the wiring is crap, lights work intermittently, and every time they have to be inspected I have to fix numerous connections, etc.

So, what is the preferred method for wiring a trailer? A couple things I can think of is to run every thing in conduit and avoid using any scotch lock connectors (solder everything I guess). Any other tips, pics, etc of good quality trailer wiring or how yall wired trailers you built would be great.

Thanks.

That's it. Soldered connections and pvc conduit with elbows etc.

That's how my Pace is wired.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #3  
That's it. Soldered connections and pvc conduit with elbows etc.

That's how my Pace is wired.

I will add:

Heat shrink all soldered connections with a marine grade heat shrink that has a glue in it that make a water tight seal and bring all grounds back to a central point.

Chris

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #4  
The main thing I have found that helped on a utility trailer I had was to run a ground wire to all the lights. Don't rely on the trailer frame as a ground for the lights that are bolted/screwed on. After in stalling wiring that contained a ground wire I have not had any issues.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #5  
Conduit is overkill, and not at all necessary.

Just solder and shrink.

All grounds should be via wire, running back to the tow vehicle, no chassy grounds.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #6  
Conduit is overkill, and not at all necessary.

Just solder and shrink.

You must not use your trailer as I do and many of my customers. I get wires ripped out and off brought to me monthly from folks driving in tall grass, weeds, in the woods, ect.

Grey plastic 1/2" conduit is cheap and can be bent to about any shape with a little heat. To cheap not to use when re-wiring a trailer.

Chris

/ How are GOOD trailers wired?
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I hadn't thought of using PVC conduit, I was planing on using 1/2" pipe welded to the frame, but PVC would be easier.

I plan on using the trailer behind my tractors 75% of the time for hauling fence posts out in the field and firewood in the woods. So having the wiring protected is pretty important.

I'll also look into running a ground to every light.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #8  
Cage your lights too or build them into a metal box and go with LED lights.

Standard bulbs are always burning out I found and the connection gets weak over time and if the lights are at all exposed you'll rip one off sooner or later.

Don't forget a tube of dielectric grease for the harness connection to whatever you're connecting it too....tractor or vehicle.

Or sometimes I use Fluid Film.....great stuff.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #9  
You must not use your trailer as I do and many of my customers. I get wires ripped out and off brought to me monthly from folks driving in tall grass, weeds, in the woods, ect.

Chris

My mistake, I thought it was common sense to run them where they can't easily get damaged.

/ How are GOOD trailers wired? #10  
Cage your lights too or build them into a metal box and go with LED lights.

Standard bulbs are always burning out I found and the connection gets weak over time and if the lights are at all exposed you'll rip one off sooner or later.

Don't forget a tube of dielectric grease for the harness connection to whatever you're connecting it too....tractor or vehicle.

Or sometimes I use Fluid Film.....great stuff.

All good advise. Especially the caging of the lights since he is going to be using it in the woods.

Chris