How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #11  
Re: How are \"Hours\" recorded? And a break-in question

True. An electric meter registers real time. A mechanical meter registers according to engine speed.

Eugene

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #12  

Thanks, Eugene. That makes sense. I'm going to guess that since mine is a digital readout on a tiny LCD screen on my dash that I'm looking at an electric meter registering clock hours on my Deere 4200

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #13  

JD has historically had electric clocks since the 1970's.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #14  

Most of our caterpillar equipment has electric clocks. They don't even have to be running.. as soon as the battery key is turned on, you can hear the meter click away.

Soundguy

<font color=green>JD has historically had electric clocks since the 1970's.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #15  

My New Holland runs off the engine. Per the manual 1 hour of metered time = 1 hour of actual time at 1833 rpm. Go faster & the meter runs faster & visa versa.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #16  

My TC35 manual says. "Proof-Meter--Records the hours and portion of hours that your tractor has been operated, regardless or engine RPM"

From that I am assuming mine runs the same speed all the time. I am sure different brands and models work differently. Try it and find out.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #17  

John Deere 50 and 55 series have mechanical clocks (only read true at a specific rpm) not sure about the 70 or 4xxx series.

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #18  

Hey GS, out of curiosity, do you smoke those "Cuban's" past the 3 mile limit????? Just wondering cause We can't buy them here, and if we want one, we gotta cross the border and sneak them back. (Not saying I would do that) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question

Did I say I actually smoked Cubans?! I was just telling what I had read or been told...yea that's it. Just repeating things.

I have been told by "forum attorneys" (similar to jail-house attorneys I guess) that possesing Cubans is not against the law. Bringing them into the country, however is against the law. Once here, they are here. Apparently nothing can be (or is) done after that.

Anyway..I only know what I have been told, and I have been told they are pretty darn good.

GS

/ How are "Hours" recorded? And a break-in question #20  
Re: How are

GarageSmoker,
I put on 50,000 miles minimum a year driving (not the tractor, of course... my wife would disagree), and have broken in over 13 engines, including diesels. Most owner's manuals say not to exceed certain speeds, or run the engine for high RPM's for extended periods of time until broken in. I pull them off the lot and drive them at highway speeds for 5 hours non-stop to home (Northern Wisconsin to Northern Illinois). Can't say there has ever been a problem. I figure the same with my Kubota. It should be broken in like it's going to be used. My Kubota dealer contradicts the Kubota manual and says to tach it up right out of the box. He does, however, say that you should let the diesel warm up 15 minutes or wait until the temp gauge moves to avoid hot spots in the cylinder before you put it under load. I would have to agree with him based upon my experiences. I had a small engine business for 12 years, and I can't tell you the amount of people who would bring in a unit with unbelievable carbon build-up because they would only run their equipment at half throttle. I think this could be a serious problem with a diesel, when it generates less heat than gas engine. My opinion.