How bad did you get screwed over?

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #21  
We use an on line service called Kijiji to sell our junk. It's pretty much a given that most people never show up. My favorite is the people that beat you down on price over the phone and then don't show up.

I contacted a guy selling a mower.. he almost did not want to give out his address.
I then assured him I would be on my way in 30 minutes.

Well,, I got there,, he had $600 as the price in the Craigs List ad,,
I offered him $500, and he happily took it,,,
He said he had given out his address over a half dozen times,, no one came.
I was the first to show, so, he took my offer,,,

RD72_zpspdbwhq1x.jpg

After hearing his story of no one showing up,, I should have offered WAY less.
He had a REAL nice place, lots of horses,, etc,, and lots of nice equipment,,

He just wanted rid of the mower,,,, :eek:

The mower runs perfect,, but, the missing shields are bugging my SIL,, he is a safety NUT,,
I guess I have to rectify the shield issue,,
Don't want a grandchild getting hurt walking on an exposed belt,, even if it is not running,,,
The grandchildren climb on everything,,, :D

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #22  
In 1978, my "first car", I bought a '72 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup from one of my uncles. I drove it home, 1200 miles, in the winter. I parked it in the street. It never started again. My uncles reply? "not my problem".

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #23  
I kick myself because I have sold stuff way too cheap. I guess, what goes around, comes around and maybe it's good to think of making someone else happy. I swear there are people that just jump on new ads and try and get stuff cheap. Now, on really good stuff, I just wait as long as it takes for the right (motivated) buyer to come along.

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #24  
We use an on line service called Kijiji to sell our junk. It's pretty much a given that most people never show up. My favorite is the people that beat you down on price over the phone and then don't show up.

Had mixed luck.

1) Had one guy drive 12 hours and paid asking price in cash for one thing.
2) Another drove 5 hours, paid asking price in cash

1) Sold one thing 3 times before I got paid.
2) Had one person want a $30 item for $20 and me to deliver it 80 km away.

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #25  
Long time ago, I was interested in buying a new (used) car. Wanted another convertible...

Mazda Miata...Mercedes SL....Miata....SL....

Went to the local used dealer (not a Mercedes dealer per se, they just "specialize" in them)

Decided I'd take "that one". It was late in the day. I gave them a deposit check and would get the financing done on Monday. They threw me the keys and said take it.

I said I'd wait until Monday.... "take it"... so off I went.

Over the weekend, the fan (heater) was stuck in the on position turning the car into a little oven. I'd seen the repair records prior to buying and figured there was nothing else that could go wrong.... until this happened.

Went back on Monday and said I didn't want the car. "but you HAVE to take it"

No...I don't.... I have yet to sign anything....remember Friday when you all wanted to go home??

I tossed him the keys and said I'd like my check back.

(got it)

Went elsewhere and bought the Miata and had a blast with it for about 10 years.

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #26  
Ouch. This brings memories.
I had my grandfather's car. A 1963 galaxie 500. I had a good job and put it in a local restoration shop to restore. Put a lot of money down and paid dearly a few times. I couldn't see it as I worked out on the road.
Finally I got some time home and went to look at car. Been about 8 months.
Cars ripped all apart. And guy wants another 8 grand to continue. I was already 10k into it.
I'm ashamed to say, I didn't have paperwork. Did have checks. I never pursued it.
If you're ever in fort smith Arkansas and go by a "Rick's Restorations " look and see if a stripped out old galaxie 500 is still parked in the lot.

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #27  
In 1967 when I was young and a pocket full of money just wanting to be spent, I checked out a 1967 Ford Mustang Cobra - the bad boy with the 427 side-oiler, 4-speed, plexiglass side windows, etc. It was a real bad-boy! They wanted $7000 for it. I laughed at them and told them I wasn't going to waste my money on a car with plastic windows! (Smart of me, right?)L

I always thought the 67 and 68 Mustangs were the best looking ever. Current models are close.

/ How bad did you get screwed over? #28  
In my younger days I purchase a '63 T-bird from a private party in Greeley Colorado. I thought I paid a fair price.

I didn't make it 80 miles before the engine over heated due to coolant loss.
I pulled into a service station where the mechanic poured cool water into the steaming radiator. When we heard the "Clink" of cracking cast iron, I new I had been screwed!

I still can't believe that an adult would fuok with a kid for money like that. I had nothing.... I had to hitch hike 1000 miles home ....