How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #11  
From the look of the bolts, I would first try to work with what you have.

Figure out what the thread size is and buy a flat bottom tap to clean out the existing threads. They may or may not be any good, but I bet there is enough metal there that a tap will give you enough to hold onto.

Buy new, American Made bolts in Grade 8 of the same length. If this is something that you don't expect to take off again, use red Loctite. If you think you'll have to remove the bolts in the future, use blue Loctite.

If this fails you, then you can work your way up to the next stage.

Eddie

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #12  
Excellent advice and suggestions from everyone thus far. So it is with the greatest respect to those more experienced than I that I add my own humble opinion here, and as I have said before, I have the greatest respect for Chinese "people",...but absolutely NONE for poor quality junk painted up pretty and sold to unsuspecting folk who are getting ripped off!!! Makes me very angry!!

That said,..... IMHO,...drilling out and retapping and using good, hard American bolts or cap screws etc, (of excellent quality) and tightening them down good and solid to proper torque,.....is a complete waste of time, effort and money!!

You are, in effect, screwing a good quality bolt down into "plastic" or in fact, an inferior quality metal, (likely) made from melted down American rusty scrap cars and other rusted out scrap metal that China buys from us. Just examine the crap that pulled out, threads and all!!!....disgracefull!!!!

You may be lucky to get the bolts snugged down tight, let alone torqued properly before they twist right on out again,...or at least work loose in time.

BUT wait, hold on friend, don't despair,...all is not lost! Once again, IMHO, I would seek the advice of those recommending the use of the Heli-coyle or Keensert "type" remedies that will bury a much better quality "thread" into the soft metal and give you a much better, firmer, more solid "base-thread" than what was there in the original bolt or cap screw hole.

Done properly "this" time, those new, harder bolt threads will get a purchase of greater strength than the original and chances are very good that they will hold their torque for many years of hard service.

I think your wasting your time doing anything less. But, "JUST" MHO !!!
Best of luck to you.

CHEERS!
. . tug

Last edited:
   / How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #13  
Captinjack, just my ojpinion and observation here but to my eye those threads look like they are the wrong diameter or wrong thread size and the male threads appear to be rounded over at their crests. Did you buy this tractor new or used? If it was used could it be that the previous owner replaced these bolts with SAE bolts into metric threads. It is not impossible for the original bolts in a new machine to have had the wrong size metric thread inserted. I have seen this before and the result looks like your bolt threads. I learned the hard way that metric threads are measured very differently from SAE threads. "Metric threads use the same thread profile as SAE threads. The biggest difference is that the thread pitch (distance between consecutive threads) is given instead of threads per unit distance." Here is a good straight-talk description of the differences in bolt threads, etc. Notes on Nuts and Bolts

Maybe this is worth considering--your call.

ARKAYBEE

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #14  
thanks for the link.. that's a good read!

soundguy

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #15  
Heli-Coil is the only way to go in my opinion, I just dont trust the epoxy thread repair systems, I am sure they work but I have used heli-coil for years and have never had one fail. Just my .02

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #16  
I've never had good results with epoxy system where you needed good clamping force.

I've made a few things that were aluminum and had composite areas for threading.. but they were simple assemblies with no real clamping power or torque needed.

epoxy threads on a metal part of a tractor??? imho.. not worthwhile..

soundguy

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #17  
I'm a little slow here... are the bolts in question at the corners of the cover in the first photograph? If so, I'm wondering how could they get any upward force from the implements? In other words, do we really know the reason for the failure?

Also, don't reach for Grade 8 bolts, they're probably nth degree overkill, esp.if this is indeed just a cover. But I need more details...

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #18  
most bolts on ford tractors of era's past were gr5, except in special areas like ring gear replacement bolt sets, and some head sets.. even chassie and cover bolts..

soundguy

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads
Thanks for all the good information. WOW this is a great site!

Yes. The failed bolts are the corner bolts and yes I bought the tractor new and yes.....I too have had about enough of the poor quality Chinese crap. I don't use the tractor that much and have not abused it and thought I could get away with less than Commercial quality US expensive tractors.

I did a quick measurement of the bolt and I'm confused as to whether it is metric or SAE. I'm going to make an accurate drawing and post a reply tomorrow.

The bolt is listed as a M10X120, but measures 10.8 mm or 7/16 inch in diameter and the treads are larger than that at 11.4mm or 0.45 inch. I haven't measured the thread pitch and will have it tonight for posting tomorrow. The length isn't close to 120 mm as it is about 105 mm which makes me suspect that my parts manual is FOS. This is just great, can't use the tractor because of two nickel ninety eight bolts.

/ How bad is this - How to fix stripped threads #20  
Thanks for all the good information. WOW this is a great site!

Yes. The failed bolts are the corner bolts and yes I bought the tractor new and yes.....I too have had about enough of the poor quality Chinese crap. I don't use the tractor that much and have not abused it and thought I could get away with less than Commercial quality US expensive tractors.

I did a quick measurement of the bolt and I'm confused as to whether it is metric or SAE. I'm going to make an accurate drawing and post a reply tomorrow.

The bolt is listed as a M10X120, but measures 10.8 mm or 7/16 inch in diameter and the treads are larger than that at 11.4mm or 0.45 inch. I haven't measured the thread pitch and will have it tonight for posting tomorrow. The length isn't close to 120 mm as it is about 105 mm which makes me suspect that my parts manual is FOS. This is just great, can't use the tractor because of two nickel ninety eight bolts.
Take out one of the "good" bolts next to them. Measure to the very bottom of the hole and compare to bolt length. You may have some significant extra hole depth that is already threaded or that you can thread and use as a safety margin on all the bolts. If you have this, and use all the extra thread depth available the Loctite thread repair kit will do the job on those outer bolts as well since [by description] they are not highly loaded. If you ever have to repair a threaded hole with real metal your best bet by far is to go to a larger dia bolt or use the case sert type of insert recommended highly above. Heli coils are ok, but not in the same league.
larry