How big a tractor for making roll bales?

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #11  
Thanks for the replys! On these hp numbers, is this pto hp or engine hp that every one is talking about? This part of ky is rolling hills, nothing I cut is very steep but, in some of the fields there is enough of a hill that I wont pull a wagon behind the baler. I assume that the bale size is adjustable on most balers?

All these hp number are going to be PTO hp, thats all that matters for a baler (that and tractor wieght)

No, not all rounf balers have an adjustable chamber. Some of the older balers are soft core, or fixed chamber balers. The only start applying tension to compress the hay when the chamber gets full. Most of the newer belt balers will all be hard core with an adjustable chamber & bale size.

Honestly I doubt your tractor has anough power to make a decent 5x5 bale. Even it it did I think your asking for trouble pulling it in hills. Even with loaded rears your probably only at about 5,000lbs. A 4,000lb baler with a 1500lb bale in it will be more then you can handle. You may be able to handle a 4x4, or 4x5, but thats all the bigger I would go with your tractor. Even that may be sketchy on hills.

I would look for something in the 70hp range, and 8,000lbs. You need hp to make a tight bale. If you don't make them tight they will fall apart. You need weight to be able to control it on hills. More hp and more weight is always better.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #12  
I agree with fowllife. We have 62hp (PTO) and bale 4x5 with our Kubota M7040 with inclines but no hills. I does the job but struggles at times. We have it set on max (1200lbs). Get those bales as tight as possible.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #13  
My experience with a CUT l3400 and a m7040 on the same baler has taught me a lot. My Hesston 5530 3*4 baler was all the l could handle but it did it. The m does it with ease. I would think the above poster has it. Look for a low hp requirement hardcore 4*5. Then you could make 4*4 or 4*5. Any bigger would be a lot for 38pto to handle. Even 4*5 could be pushing it there. It would pull a 3*4 with ease.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #14  
We have a 446 JD round baler (4x4 bales) and use it with a 65hp tractor and an 82hp tractor. The 65hp seems ideal for this size baler, the 82hp is probably a little too much, you can put hay into it faster than you should which is hard on the pickup/rollers/driveline. We did try pulling it one time with a 40hp tractor and it was miserable. In anything but very light hay and flat ground 40hp was vastly insufficient.

For a 4x4 baler I'd recommend 50-60hp minimum, for a 5x5 as you mentioned I'd want at least 80hp.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #15  
I use a JD 457 round baler. Nominal bale weight is 1100 lbs. Minimum hp requirement @ the PTO is 55. I have 70 pto, 85 engine. I roll hay on about 90 acres. I wouldn't want to try it with any less.

As some have said, you might look at a 4x4 or even a 3x4 baler. You could possibly get by with one of those.

Short answer: You might just barely make it with a lesser hp tractor, but it won't be any fun.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #16  
This would be a good task for some 100 HP 'old iron'.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #17  
My tractor dealer told a m6040 kubota was to small for a 4x5 baler that the hydraulics were not strong enough to hold a good tight baler. So sold it bought a m9540 with Vermeer 504n baler and in low gear fourth it slows down at times and does strain engine. If u are baling small rows and I mean small u may be able. I think u will have more trouble than it is worth. Real tick grass will make big rows and kill that tractor even going super slow.

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales? #18  
I use a Kubota 7040 with a Vermeer REBEL 5410(5x4) and it does good windrows are usually light around here and the hills are small long grades. I wouldnt wonna go any smaller than the 64pto I have,even if its rated for 50hp it better be flat ground and not be in a hurry..

/ How big a tractor for making roll bales?
Thanks for the replys! This is the kind of information I was looking for, real hands on experience. As we get more into farming we are going to need a bigger tractor so this gives me more of an idea of the size we will need. Any one know on these smaller roll bales what their equivalent would be in square bale? It seems to me it may not be worth it to get such a small baler for our 444 due to how difficult storing small round bales would be. At least with the squares we make now, they can fit into the loft for storage. Also, on a side note we are going to need a bigger bush hog mower soon, we have a 5' mower right now and it takes countless hours to clip the fields. We have about 40-50 acres that we would need to mow any where from 1-2 times per year. What size mower would be reasonable with this amount of acres and what kind of pto hp requirements would it have? Thanks.