How big of a disk setup for a BX24?

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
What's the biggest disk setup out there for a BX24? I know the rule of thumb for ground engagement is the width of the rear... but a disk is a little different beast and can go bigger...

Anyone running a 5' setup in sandy soil with some rocks? What about a 6' setup?

Whatca got? This would be ground already turned with a plow...

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #2  
Two concerns I would have are the weight and maybe the bumpiness. A harrow doesn't really create much resistance. I don't think your BX would have any trouble pulling a 6' harrow through the soil. I have a 6' harrow I use on a larger tractor that I think weighs about 500 lbs. We have sandy soil, but it's pretty rough going when smoothing it out after it's been plowed. I use an old 45 hp ford for the job. I wonder if you would do a lot of bottoming out on a BX.

It really depends on the conditions. If you're plowing soil that has established grass in it, you're going to end up with big clumps after plowing that I don't think a BX could handle driving through. If it doesn't have grass or thick weeds and it's sandy you might be able to get away with just harrowing and skip the plowing.

I use my BX 2350 to cultivate between the rows in a 2 acre garden and I came very close to buying a 4 foot harrow for the job. Instead I bought a cultivator with Danish tines. It has worked so well that I do not think I'll need to plow next year, just harrow, which a lot of ag people are in favor of because it doesn't dig up deeply buried weed and grass seeds.

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24?
The land is a 5-6 year neglected hay/soybean field... (I put both because I don't know what it was when abandoned)...
There will be lots of grass clumps - no doubt... But I have worked areas similar to this in years past with an old Wheelhorse - a 1 bottom - and a drag behind cultivator - and had good results.

I'm just wondering how big of a disk the BX can handle... bottoming out on sod clumps is nothing.

Cool video - but how many axles / transmissions / drive train anything have you tore out of that poor BX? Those tires in their setup are CRAZY!

That said - that's a good sized disk setup you have there.

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #6  
There is also a video of the Landpride 05 series disc in operation at their website........ on a BX.

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #7  
fishpick said:
But I have worked areas similar to this in years past with an old Wheelhorse

What model Wheel Horse?

RayCo - An old 16 horse Kohler under the hood I think...

Man - does nobody run disks behind their BX24?

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #9  
I guess tillers are in favor these days, especially with the smaller tractors, but there are people that use discs with good results. Do a search on posts by Milkman, and you may find something. I would think that the 4', and 5' discs would work fine. Landpride has a video showing their 05 series being used on a BX. Hmm, maybe I can find a picture of Milkman's setup.... Yes, I found a couple. Sure looks bigger than 4' to me! :D

Attachments

• ReSd12.JPG
    ReSd12.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 463
  • ReSd2.JPG
    ReSd2.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 412
   / How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #10  
The soil is the biggest key. In Chucks pictures I only see the disk going in the ground a few inches deep. The soil doesn't look that sandy. I just ran the disk over my garden which is a true sandy loam(locals call it sugar sand). No rocks. With my lightweight L and a light duty 5' disk, after a couple passes the ground is very soft and the disk will sink to their axles...thus burying my tractor. 4wd won't do much either. This same garden would bury a 10' disk on a 55hp tractor. Not sure how the rocks would react to all this.

Now I have used my 5' disk on some harder clay type soil, in that stuff I could only get down 2-4 inches(with a weight on the back). No problem pulling it in that stuff.

First pick is the sand, second is the clay. Good Luck, Rob

Attachments

• loam.JPG
    loam.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 389
  • discinwoods.JPG
    discinwoods.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 402