How big of a disk setup for a BX24?

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24?
Bought these last night - I'm done with implements for a while - wife took away the checkbook! :D

Get delivered today at high noon... because my trailer is still out of commission...

Tractor Supply Company - DISC

Great deal on them - they were marked down to $499 - and I got them for even less... need to make room for the white stuff blowers/throwers I guess (I can't say it)...

In the spirit of closure - the disks work "ok" - if you have seen any of my other posts around here about ground engaging equipment you will see where I'm going from.

The lift arms on the BX24 drop to 9" off the ground when the tractor is level... the pins on the disks I bought are 12" off the ground (again when level).

Simple math - and real world experience - show that the disks under the best of circumstances with lots of weight on their back - only engage about the top 3" of soil... not super great... but enough to knock the tops off furrows from the plow.

Ground engagement (or rather the inability to really get things int the ground) is probably the only disappointment I have with my BX24.

I'll likely get a quick hitch system - which extends the lower links by a few inches - which will gain me another inch or sow down... and if that fails to give me the results I want - I'll loose some of the "lift" capacity and drill another hole in the lower arms closer to the tractor - about 1.5" towards the tractor on the arm gives about a 3" drop at the link ends - that should be more than enough.

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #13  
fishpick said:
Ground engagement (or rather the inability to really get things int the ground) is probably the only disappointment I have with my BX24.

Sounds like that BX-24 is clearly the wrong machine for you. My offer to give you $5000 for it still stands.:D

LMS

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #14  
larrystrollo said:
Sounds like that BX-24 is clearly the wrong machine for you. My offer to give you $5000 for it still stands.:D

LMS
Well I don't know about the offer part but I agree that disc is probably a little to big. Interesting thing about the lift arms. The ones on my L almost drag the ground it seems. And the 3pt on the disc seems higher but I've never measured. But I think mine has 16" discs, the spool in the middle is at least 2 inches. So the deepest I can go it about 7" before the spools drag and I can really pull it anymore. This happens in sandy soil, in clay I can only get 3-4 inches at best.

goot luck,
Rob

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #15  
fishpick said:
The lift arms on the BX24 drop to 9" off the ground when the tractor is level... the pins on the disks I bought are 12" off the ground (again when level).

Fish, I don't have a BX, so may be way off here. But my B7610 has quarter inching :( and its lift arms can be made to nearly drag on the ground...like Rob J's.

On mine it's possible to adjust the lowering limit (limit how far down the arms go) by moving a locking collar on an interlock rod. What this does is set a lift arm position that forces the control lever from 'lower' to 'neutral' when reached...thus limiting how far down the arms can go.

Take a look at the Hydraulic Unit-3 Point Hitch Control System section in your owner's manual and see if there's a paragraph in there on "Implement Lowering Limit". On the 7610, shifting the locking collar forward "lowers the lower limit". Maybe yours can be adjusted to drop to the height you want.
FWIW
Bob

larry - you make more than that... :) get on rentacoder.com and work out a "real" offer - SingleTractor or something...

Nope - no adjustments - fixed length arms - disk is fine - just won't go into the ground... I'd LOVE to have an issue with it digging too deep and stoping the tractor!

/ How big of a disk setup for a BX24? #17  
I'll get in the ground, eventually, just make 4-5-6 passes over the same spot. You probably need a bottom plow, middle buster, turning plow, sub soiler, etc to break it up. In the first pic I posted that 55hp tractor with a 10' disc would barely break the ground. I went over and got his 3 row turning plow then ran the disc. I probably disc it 4 times a year to keep it loose, and loose it is. Now.

You need to update your blog with some new pics!!