How Big of a rock can 2150 move?

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #1  

buzst

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2150HSD
last night I dug out the rock shown in the attached photo. About 3 inches of the rock was above ground. the machine worked hard but did finally pop it out. How much larger of a rock should I be able to move without damaging the machine?I have quite a few more to move and some are quite a bit larger.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2-168203-rock.jpg
    2-168203-rock.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 145
   / How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #2  
Don't worry, if the rock is too heavy, the FEL won't lift it. Then you will know that rock is too heavy.

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #3  
buzst, the way I look at may be different then many of the folks here. The beauty of hydraulics is that either they will or they won't lift something. If that were not the case, we'd all be replacing hydraulic componets regularly. The thing to be concerned about is continually trying to pry with just the corner of the bucket, especially curling the bucket. A tremendous amount of force is placed there and twisting the bucket is possible. While it is possible to twist the loader itself, Kubotas are quite sturdy. You should also get some weight on the rear end, just tire ballast will not be enough. I have a 1200 lb box scraper on mine. I have moved (not lifted) rocks significantly larger then the one you show. Rat...

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #4  
You may not be able to pick up that rock with the FEL, but you will be able to drag it around with no problems. If you use a stone boat you will be able to move bigger ones than the one in the photo. The trick is getting them onto the stone boat with the FEL! I have had good luck rolling them on to the boat. Good luck with your project.

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #5  
Sounds like a riddle.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

<font color=blue>...How Big of a rock can 2150 move? ...</font color=blue>

Hummm... until your front turf tires come off the rims and the rears lift up in the air (with no counter balance?)... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #6  
"Give me a lever long enough and a place to anchor it and I can move the world." I agree with everyone else here so far. The size of rock you can move is limmited more by your creative approach to the problem than the size of your machine within boundaries.You can move a much larger rock than you can lift, and it won't hust anything to find out if you can lift it. I also agree that you need more weight on the back for this kind of work.

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #8  
<font color=blue>What's a stone boat?</font color=blue>

I've never seen a factory made stone boat. Do such even exist? However, some of the old car hoods turned upside down have served the purpose. Roll the stone onto it, then chain the front of that car hood to the back of the tractor to pull it, and you have your own custom made stone boat.

/ How Big of a rock can 2150 move? #9  
Wow! A stone boat! I haven't seen one of those since I was a child. You can make one using a couple of logs approx. 6 to 8 " in dia. You need to cut the leading edge at about a 45 degree angle and cut the tops for a flat surface. An alternative would be 2 ea 2x6's bolted together on each side for runners. you can use small logs across the top or 2x6's to make the bed. lag bolt the logs/boards to the runners. bolt drag chains near the front of the runners and you have a basic stone boat. You can put some side rails on ( approx. 2x2's ) to help keep the rocks from rolling off.

You then roll or put your stones on the boat/sled and drag it to where you want.

By the way the approximate year that I last saw one of those was about 1956.

Don