How can I build a road up this hill

/ How can I build a road up this hill
So was rain the only thing keeping you from getting up there? Did you discover anything you were doing wrong?

It was just too steep. I must have dumped 50 yards of soil. Still adding more to make it easier to climb with a truck someday.

/ How can I build a road up this hill #62  
Actually the slope you have there should be good to run a baby carriage on it sideways with no danger of tipping over (your first photo was about a 1 on 3 slope and it's obvious you've flattened it since then). Standard highway engineering uses a 1 on 4 slope from the edge of pavement to the bottom of ditchline. That is considered safe for a car at highway speed to go down the slope with no danger of tipping over unless the car is sliding sideways at 60 mph and the downhill tires dig in.
Slope is very easy to calculate and measure. With your 10 ft rise in elevation the toe of your slope should be 40 ft away for a 1 on 4 slope. Its also very easy to check with a carpenters rule. Fold the ruler 90 degrees at 1 ft and extend the rest out 4 ft. Set it on the slope with the 1 ft side downhill and if the top is about level, you have a 1 on 4 slope. 1 ft with 3 ft extended will be 1 on 3 slope. 2 ft extended 1 on 2 slope etc.
As several others have said, get rid of the topsoil and you can use stone, hardpan clay etc. as a base but top it with about a foot of run of bank gravel crowned in the middle, 1/4 inch per foot slope minimum and use the topsoil to dress the edges. This method should shed everything but gully washer fainstorms.

/ How can I build a road up this hill #63  
Its also very easy to check with a carpenters rule. Fold the ruler 90 degrees at 1 ft and extend the rest out 4 ft. Set it on the slope with the 1 ft side downhill and if the top is about level, you have a 1 on 4 slope. 1 ft with 3 ft extended will be 1 on 3 slope. 2 ft extended 1 on 2 slope etc.

Or, use the Measure app on your iPhone to get the slope in degrees, then convert using a website converter like this one Angle Degrees to Percent of Slope Conversion Calculator - CalcuNation.com unless you can remember how to use your slide rule to do trig functions. :rolleyes:

The tops of the FEL posts on my JD are deal level when the tractor is on a level slab, so I can just run the tractor on the slope I want to measure and lay the iPhone on top of the FEL posts.

/ How can I build a road up this hill #64  
There’s something wrong with his tractor or he’s using it wrong one. A BX has a high HP to weight ratio and should easily spin out before it stalls. My L3240 was ballasted close 8k and it was hst and it still had enough power to break traction in good traction conditions before the engine stalled. All my other machines have a higher hp to weight ratio and easily break traction before they stall. If you’re trying to figure out the point of all this he said he couldn’t climb the hill because his machine was stalling out not because it was spinning. And he’ll soon figure out why most of us suggested cutting out the top of the hill and not filling in the bottom.

/ How can I build a road up this hill #65  
Or, use the Measure app on your iPhone to get the slope in degrees, then convert using a website converter like this one Angle Degrees to Percent of Slope Conversion Calculator - CalcuNation.com unless you can remember how to use your slide rule to do trig functions. :rolleyes:

Using the ruler was a lot easier and quicker when I was doing it everyday, By the time I retired, flip phones were state of the art.
I had slope gauges on my dozers and graders that you could look at anytime and know exactly where you were at.
Really good operators said their slope gauge was built into the seat of their pants and I was always amazed at how close they could hold it. I also had 4 to 10 ft slope boards that were adjustable for measuring road and shoulder slopes most of which were 1/4 to 3/4" per ft. My first cross slope gauge for my grader table was a graduated board with a straight piece of coat hanger dangling over it, Just like the Romans used as a level or slope gauge, but I'm not quite that old!!!

/ How can I build a road up this hill #66  
There’s something wrong with his tractor or he’s using it wrong one. A BX has a high HP to weight ratio and should easily spin out before it stalls. My L3240 was ballasted close 8k and it was hst and it still had enough power to break traction in good traction conditions before the engine stalled. All my other machines have a higher hp to weight ratio and easily break traction before they stall. If you’re trying to figure out the point of all this he said he couldn’t climb the hill because his machine was stalling out not because it was spinning. And he’ll soon figure out why most of us suggested cutting out the top of the hill and not filling in the bottom.

Using the ruler was a lot easier and quicker when I was doing it everyday, By the time I retired, flip phones were state of the art.
I had slope gauges on my dozers and graders that you could look at anytime and know exactly where you were at.
Really good operators said their slope gauge was built into the seat of their pants and I was always amazed at how close they could hold it. I also had 4 to 10 ft slope boards that were adjustable for measuring road and shoulder slopes most of which were 1/4 to 3/4" per ft. The first cross slope gauge for my grader table I made was a graduated board with a straight piece of coat hanger dangling over it, Just like the Romans used as a level or slope gauge, but I'm not quite that old!!!