How cold to freeze pipes?

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #11  
This is very timely!

On Wednesday night one of my PVC ball valves split, which I guess was caused by the freeze.

Very similar conditions, same state: California. I'm getting some nights with outside temperatures below freezing for a full 12 hours. Down to the low 20s. There might be a few instances when we will get down to teens, but not many and for a short period of time. Never get frost.

What is the right way to protect the many above-ground pvc water pipes I have on the property?

Is the black foam insulation material best/adequate? I won't be able to wrap heat tape along my hundreds of feet of pipe. Should the entire above-ground assembly be done, including my valves and spigots?

Thanks.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #12  
I would use frost free hydrants, the shortest ones would be adequate for your area. That or a shut off and drain the lines when cold weather is expected.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #13  
SLOBuds said:
...... my hundreds of feet of pipe ....

It's kindof hard to believe you layed that much PVC on the ground and expected it to be ok but, in this rare instance, I'd take Bird's advice and just crack a valve and let the system dribble a bit for the next few of months. You're an area of extreme climate, unlike LA (I know, I grew up in Glendale), you need to take heed and prepare for those single digits that hit you're area on occasion. :)

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #14  
SLOBuds said:
Should the entire above-ground assembly be done, including my valves and spigots?

Just curious why you have hundreds of feet of above ground pipe? Is it an orchard or some other crop?

Can you drain the lines? Some sytems put a valve at the low point to drain the water when not in use. I'm assuming you don't need it this time of the year?

PVC ball joints are not the best valves out there, but they do an ok job. If you use the valve allot, it will wear out on you and start to leak. Put a good brass gate valve in there with two male pvc fittings in either side so you can attach the pvc pipe to it. This will last almost forever.

If you can't drain the pipe and/or need to keep it preasurized and above ground, what about covering it in a mulch? Pine needles, bark and othe products help to keep plants from freezing, maybe it will give you enough insulation to stop your pipes from freezing?

Good luck,
Eddie

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #15  
HomeBrew2 said:
It's kindof hard to believe you layed that much PVC on the ground and expected it to be ok but,

The pipe is buried in-ground at least 2', with several risers coming up out of the ground and terminating at spigots. So the in-ground PVC should not be any problem. The above-ground material is what I am concerned about.

I'm definitely having trouble with the PVC valves.

Lesson learned.

Thanks.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #16  
Crawl space under the house where all the pipes are never freezes - thats why I haul there all the paint from the shop every fall;)

But once we had freezing temperature and strong wind from north and pipes froze near the went. Had to use a torch.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #17  
Do you use the outside water taps during the winter? If not Blow the lines out with compressed air. Put a compressor with good volume on the highest tap and regulate it at 60lbs. Open a tap until it blows air. Close it, let the pressure build up again and move on to the next one. The remaining water should not be a problem.
The camp owner next door clears hundreds of feet of line this way. The frost always goes deeper than his lines and they seem to survive.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #18  
Hang 5 gallon plastic pails over them. All you need to do is to protect them from the cold settling on them. Just like covering new plants in the early spring.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #19  
Tig said:
Do you use the outside water taps during the winter? If not Blow the lines out with compressed air. Put a compressor with good volume on the highest tap and regulate it at 60lbs. Open a tap until it blows air. Close it, let the pressure build up again and move on to the next one. The remaining water should not be a problem.
The camp owner next door clears hundreds of feet of line this way. The frost always goes deeper than his lines and they seem to survive.

Thats a great idea, I will try and remember that for the time I need it.

/ How cold to freeze pipes? #20  
we run all our pipes in crawls around here. They wonnt freeze unless the crawl has a breeze. A house will radiate alot of heat but a breeze will take it all away.Just make sure your vents are closed.