How do I clean a Diesel tank, to convert for water?

/ How do I clean a Diesel tank, to convert for water? #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
I see 200 gallon plastic diesel tanks on craigslist, and would like to use one on my trailer to irrigate new trees.

Is it possible to clean out a fuel tank that may possibly have years of crud, clean enough so that watering from it won't kill the plants? How?

The tanks are 4x8x1, 200 gallons, just right for my little utility trailer, At $25, this is a deal too good to pass up if I can make it work.

Let's see if this link to the craigslist photo works:

3nd3o33laZZZZZZZZZ93c7f282eaa6041197c.jpg

Added - no, I'm not selling anything. I'm considering buying one of these if I'm persuaded it will clean up ok.

Last edited:
   / How do I clean a Diesel tank, to convert for water? #2  
Hard to say if you can get all the diesel residue out of a plastic tank. I think its like gas or diesel in a metal tank. It seems to permeate into the metal and I think it would do the same in plastic. My opinion is you could wash it out enough for watering plants without problems. They do make enzymes that eat up diesel such as in a spill situation. One web site also says to use warm soapy water for cleaning spills on pets and clothes.

/ How do I clean a Diesel tank, to convert for water? #3  
Are they cheap enough to try just one . I believe they use something like Dawn dish washing detergent to break up some small oil spills. I see labels on some plastic tanks/barrels that say not for water. If you know the manufacture of the tank, you might call them for some more info.

/ How do I clean a Diesel tank, to convert for water?
I believe they use something like Dawn dish washing detergent to break up some small oil spills.
That gave me the incentive to go ahead and buy the tank for my irrigation.

(200 gallon flat 4x8x1 tank). It had been vacuumed down to just a tablespoon of diesel. I poured in a half bottle of Simple Green (nontoxic and biodegradable cleaner) and 5 gallons of water to slosh around during the 100 mile drive out to the ranch. After several high pressure water rinses, the water coming out doesn't leave any oil sheen. Good enough for irrigation water.

I continued describing this project over in the Rural Living thread: 12v bilge pump to irrigate from a trailer tank?