how do I clean up the grease?

/ how do I clean up the grease? #1  

mdbarb

Gold Member
Tractor
B21
After giving the tractor the once over with the grease gun there are the inevitable overflows at the joints and zerks. This stuff seems impossible to get rid of and becomes a dirt magnet. Does anyone know of a way to clean up in those hard to reach spots. Power washing doesn't do it.

/ how do I clean up the grease? #2  
I use strips of cloth from old shirts and just wipe as much away as possible.

/ how do I clean up the grease? #3  
I am an overgreaser. The extra grease spooges out of the joint and then brush and limbs smear it all over me and the tractor when I work. When cleaning it, wipe it up with paper towels. If you can't reach it then it can't reach you. If it gets dirty then that's OK since the grease on the outside isn't on the inside of the joint where dirt would act as an abrasive.

Extra grease spilling out of joints is much better than a dry joint. I have found that a little diesel fuel on the paper towel will dissolve the grease very well.

/ how do I clean up the grease? #4  
mdbarb said:
After giving the tractor the once over with the grease gun there are the inevitable overflows at the joints and zerks. This stuff seems impossible to get rid of and becomes a dirt magnet. Does anyone know of a way to clean up in those hard to reach spots. Power washing doesn't do it.

I carry a rag with me when i grease.. er.. a towell. I use one side to wipe downt he dirty nipple and area.. then grease it.. then wait a few secs, and wipe any excess with the other side.

Repair for all zerks... Doesn't elimintate mess.. but sure cuts down on it.

Soundguy

/ how do I clean up the grease? #5  
I use paper towels too--just get the stuff that is going to drop down on the trailer etc that I will end up tracking everywhere on my boots.

/ how do I clean up the grease? #6  
I am a new member but if I am allowed to post a reply, I would recommend a product called Awesome. It can be found in the Dollar Tree stores and it is being raved about on RV.net. My husband saw it being used at the shop where we take our horse trailer to be repaired. We had many black streaks on the white aluminum and a good accumulation of crud on the tack room walls, all clean now! Good Luck!

Jackie Baker

/ how do I clean up the grease? #7  
Do not use a powerwasher on the greased areas. It is very high pressure, and will inject water into the very areas that you use grease in to, among other things, force the water out.
If you use a pw on your tractor, avoid directing its spray to areas that have grease zerks.

/ how do I clean up the grease? #8  
Mike_Lipke said:
If you use a pw on your tractor, avoid directing its spray to areas that have grease zerks.

And I might add, anything electrical.
Bob