How do I float my 3ph?

/ How do I float my 3ph? #1  

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
Someone advised that when using a rake with wheels, the 3ph should be in the float position. The manual for my jd2320 doesn't mention this.

I'm guessing that 'float' means there is no 3ph up/down pressure. Gravity on the rake and the wheels adjusts the rake position.

Last edited:
   / How do I float my 3ph? #2  
I guess float would be all the way down.....????????

/ How do I float my 3ph? #4  
I don't know if your lift arms are the same design as mine on the 4520, but there is a pin on the arm that you can position to alternate between rigid and float positions. Here's mine in the float position, which can be rotated horizontal making the lift arms rigid. Like I said, you setup may be different.

Attachments

• DSC03414.JPG
    DSC03414.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 450
   / How do I float my 3ph? #5  
Some 3pt.'s float and some don't. Mine floats in the full down position with the draft set to 0 (it's EH though). You might just have to carefully test it...

And even if your arms have the float setting like Tacts (and mine) it won't be enough...

/ How do I float my 3ph? #6  
ragkar said:
Someone advised that when using a rake with wheels, the 3ph should be in the float position. The manual for my jd2320 doesn't mention this.

Well there is a little confusing terminology in my 3320 manual where there are instructions on how to change the 3PH to a "float" mode.

First, all 3PH designs that I know of are always in a float mode as they do not apply any downward pressure. Run the rockshaft control all the way down and the implement will "float" up and down with the terrain.

But .... my landscape rake with gauge wheels wants to be free to tilt small amounts as well as rise and fall. So my on my 3320 where the lift arms attach to the lower links there is a bolt, a slot and a bracket on each side. With the brackets one way, the lower links are locked to the lift arms. With the bracket the other way, the lift arms can flop up and down independently somewhat allowing for tilt of the implement. The 3320 refers to this as the "float position" of the draft links as opposed to the "fixed position".
I don't know if the 2320 has the same option.

/ How do I float my 3ph? #7  
For the 2320, just push the 3PH lever all the way forward.
If you don't have anything on the 3PH you can lift the arms and see that it will float up and down.

/ How do I float my 3ph? #8  
Ragkar

The picture posted by Tact is what you want & should also be shown in your owner's manual or something close to it.

As you continue to lower the rake after its wheels touch down you will see the hitch lower a little more without the rake lowering further. The rake is then free to float a little.

Depending on what you want to accomplish you can also adjust the left/right hitch tilt, individual gauge wheel height forward/back top link and left or right rake angle

Note: On some rakes the gauge wheels do not turn 360 so you may have to lift your rake when backing.

You can also try only lowering the rake till it just touches the ground if you don't want it to dig in as much or if you have the hitch tilted such as when crowning a road.

Good luck & just go slow watching how each adjustment effects moving the soil.

/ How do I float my 3ph? #9  
Woody was right on the answer. The simple answer is it always floats but you can control the 'low' point. The implement/terrain can always lift the implement. What you control with the position or select control is the lowest point it will let the implement go.

/ How do I float my 3ph? #10  
My 3 ph floats above where it is set to run at. So, if you want it to fully float, leave the lever all the way in "down" position. If you want somewhere in between "up" and "down", just run it down to where you want it not to go below and then return the lever to "neutral".

Ralph