How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #51  
Where are all thees snakes and birds of prey anyway I only see 1 hawk around here The moles and voles and field mice outnumber him 200-1
Actually, all other variables aside, bird of prey numbers will be regulated by the amount of prey available.

In the past, I spent a good deal of time watching birds but the sport got to croweded and too political for me. I also used to feed them until I realized my money was better spent on plants or trees that provided shelter and feed.

We have a feeding station set up only for my elderly mother to enjoy otherwise we would not. I do admit to enjoying the pileated woodpeckers come for suet. A visual treat for anyone who likes to see birds.

We took in a stray cat that had kittens in our barn. Totally wild, she is now pretty friendly and a great mouser. I could have killed her when she came in with a scarlet tanager yesterday. Fortunately for the bird, I got him away in time.

Cats do kill alot of birds but then introduced species such as cowbirds do a lot of harm if not more. I don't like big brother but I think somehow nuetering and spaying need to be strongly incouraged.

All this does not solve the neighbor feeding the deer problem. All other options aside, a good fence makes a good neighbor. If you can keep the deer out then the problem intensifies on someone else or on the feeder. That will take the weight off of your shoulders.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #52  
Wow! What I thread. I think someone said "If they're not breaking the law, you can't do anything." That's that. Done deal. Fini.

As for myself, I consider the things large rats, and last year reduced the population by one with a Ford Expedition (Actually maybe couple more, since I could see it had been nursing, this was in early July).

As for your cat (or if it were a dog) I wouldn't tolerate it on my property. I'd mention it to you, and you'd take care of it, or I eventually would. If I did, you wouldn't hear about it.

"God grant me the power to change the things I can change, the serenity to accept the things I can't change, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Good luck, whatever happens. I like the paintball idea.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #53  
Wow! What I thread. I think someone said "If they're not breaking the law, you can't do anything." That's that. Done deal. Fini.

As for myself, I consider the things large rats, and last year reduced the population by one with a Ford Expedition (Actually maybe couple more, since I could see it had been nursing, this was in early July).

As for your cat (or if it were a dog) I wouldn't tolerate it on my property. I'd mention it to you, and you'd take care of it, or I eventually would. If I did, you wouldn't hear about it.

"God grant me the power to change the things I can change, the serenity to accept the things I can't change, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Good luck, whatever happens. I like the paintball idea.

This aint much more off topic then anyone elses post . I Just had to say I agree with You , allthough i probablly wouldn,t hurt anyones critter that came on the property . I run them off a few times but cant see hurting them unless their a threat & I Love your signature BTW . :D . Bob

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #54  
If you want to really get their attention skin it then hang it in the tree for them to see.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals?
Not sure how I could keep a barn cat from roaming other than shooting it. But if I did that than the voles would be back, and honestly I don't know what kind of damage or nuisance it causes anyways. Voles and coons damage my source of food. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I prefer not to attract rabid predators and large rats.

As far as natural or not the cat works for me. Heck I've been told native earthworms were wiped out during the last ice age and all the worms around here were introduced from Europe. But, I smile when I see them working the ground for me.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #56  
You seem to be dealing with vegitarian city folk. It would seem your best defense is to smile and compliment your neighbor on his feeding efforts. Then when they leave after Christmas, invite some friends over and thin the herd. Some may disagree with this approach, however, your neighbor seems to have a total lack of understanding of country living.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #57  
This aint much more off topic then anyone elses post . I Just had to say I agree with You , allthough i probablly wouldn,t hurt anyones critter that came on the property . I run them off a few times but cant see hurting them unless their a threat & I Love your signature BTW . :D . Bob

I'm sorry, I should have explained myself better by saying if they were on my property AND CAUSING A PROBELM.

For example, we had a neighbor's dog that was ripping open our trash bags and leaving me a mess - I'll tolerate that for only a short while. OTOH, if they come over to visit for a doggy treat, that's OK.

I apologize for not being as clear as I should have been. Mea culpa.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals?
I can't argue with that.

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #59  
I'm sorry, I should have explained myself better by saying if they were on my property AND CAUSING A PROBELM.

For example, we had a neighbor's dog that was ripping open our trash bags and leaving me a mess - I'll tolerate that for only a short while. OTOH, if they come over to visit for a doggy treat, that's OK.

I apologize for not being as clear as I should have been. Mea culpa.

NP biggerten , allthough I quoted your post i didn,t think you meant it that way . i still agree with you , as with everything else theres different actions for different areas & locations . :D

in my case i can just yell atem & they most likelly wont be back. If there doing damage of some kind, i,ll still give them every chance with a few warning shots to let them go on their merry way .

As far as the ones that have no problem shooting some poor critter just to hang on the fence to make a point . I wouldn,t be near as nice if they stumbled onto our property , nor would the wife . :D . Bob

/ How do I get neighbors to stop feeding wild animals? #60  
This thread has gotten too contentious and has been pruned and is being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.