Rotary Cutter How do I ream out hardened steel?

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #11  
i thought about the bushing idea.. iut would have to be hard, and captured with a flange top and bottom to be of mych use though..

i've done the drill job on a regular pto yoke ( non slip clutch ) for a smooth spline adapter.. i made it multi to fit both size mowers I had at the time.. in my case.. one was a half inch bolt and the other was soem real weird tapered pin! i just drileld the other hole perp and it worked fine as long as I had them.

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #12  
Or put short 1/2 OD 3/8 ID bushings on the bolt

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #13  
day late and dollar short eh? ;)

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #14  
In the shop we would often use a hone... .125 is a lot of material for a hone to take off.

What about a 7/16 or a metric bolt around the same size?

You may find the hardness is only surface deep and going oversize will take away the hardened wear surface.

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #16  
This is not anwering your question but a comment already given. If you look at the Owning and Operating section of this site on a recent posting about Check your shear bolts it demonstrates it well. A grade 8 bolt used instead of a softer shear bolt and the spline shaft ended up breaking instead of the shear bolt plus a fire started also. Just saying.

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #17  
I don't see what all of the fuss is about with eliminating the shear bolt. He has a slip clutch. I have a slip clutch on mine and as far as I know it never had shear bolt from the factory. If the clutch is adjusted properly I don't see an issue. Am I missing something? Do they usually come new with a "back-up" protection device?

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #18  
Got room for a new fabricated coupling with the proper holes??:(

Easiest is a bushing insert. :)

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #19  
if his has been sloppy and cutting.. i bet those half inch holes are elipses now.

/ How do I ream out hardened steel? #20  
I don't see what all of the fuss is about with eliminating the shear bolt. He has a slip clutch. I have a slip clutch on mine and as far as I know it never had shear bolt from the factory. If the clutch is adjusted properly I don't see an issue. Am I missing something? Do they usually come new with a "back-up" protection device?

every one I've seen either you run a soft bolt as a shear.. or if you add a torque limiter you attach the limiter with a hard bolt in the same hole. IE.. no backup.

just what I've seen anyway..