How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake

/ How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake #1  

megotatractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Hello,

I have an old old sully rake sitting on my acreage from a previous owner. It's either a new idea or Minneapolis Moline. It has the old square link drive chain which is broken. I have spare pieces of chain from which to borrow a link. Problem is how do I open the links and reclose them to make a new chain? Is there a tool? I tried heating but my soldering torch isn't hot enough. I cannot find the right size links at the farm store to replace the links. We had a wind storm which has left corn husks all over my yard 31/2 acres and it would be great to get this rake working to clean this mess up. thanks.

/ How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake #2  
If my memory still works you bend two links together and then they hammer apart. No heat required.:D

/ How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake
OH DUH! When you said hammer the links apart it ocurred to me to try to knock them SIDEWAYS!!!!!! I was trying everything to bend and pry them open the HARD way. That was too easy. Got the rake working now, it just doesn't work very well yet until I get all the rusty adjustments loosened up. Thanks.

/ How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake #4  
Sorry about that. I should have mentioned which way you hit them. :eek:

Spray oil on the chain when its running if that's possible and the rust soon disappears. For some strange reason I'd recommend chainsaw bar oil?:confused:

Didn't have that back when!:D

/ How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake #5  
Some of us would like to see a picture of that rake if that is possible. Thank you- Trac

Well, I long ago gave up using this thing to rake the lawn. Thought it was a good idea at the time but it's just too worn out. Now it is a creative garden bench.
Woud still like to identify it and hopefully find a photo to help paint it original colors. found some red paint on the gears if that helps. Any remaining paint on the wheels is inconclusively either red or yellow, not sure.
thanks

Attachments

• rake1.jpg
    rake1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 151
  • rake2.jpg
    rake2.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 173
  • rake3.jpg
    rake3.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 170
Bigger pic...

Attachments

• 100_0481.jpg
    100_0481.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
   / How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake #8  
Chainsaw bar oil works because it stick on the chain and does mot fling off like lighter oils. Good luck.

/ How do I repair the drive chain on an old sully rake #9  
Take a look on the hubs for any Identification casting marks or on the gears.

What am I looking for? There are stampings here and there on the gears and wheels that don't mean anything to me.