How do I set valve adjustment.

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #1  

ford351c

I want to adjust the valves on my Ford 1220. My manual says to set cylinder # 1 at TDC and adjust. Nothing is mentioned about cylinders 2 & 3. Would I rotate crankshaft 120 degrees and set for cylinder # 2. Then rotate another 120 degrees and set number 3. Or is there another way it should be done?

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #2  
Do not know if the degrees are right or not.I do know to watch the rocker arms on each cylinder and stop when neither rocker is moving and have some slack in them then adjust the valves.If you pass the centering of rocker arms back up past center and come back in direction of engine rotation. They can be adjusted with pistons in exhaust or compression TDC as long as there is no tension on the rocker arms

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #3  
Agreed. You can't adjust the valves for all cylinders with just cylinder #1 at TDC. You need to rotate the engine to TDC (or close) on the compression stroke for each cylinder as you adjust them. TDC is recommended to ensure the lifters aren't riding up the sloped parts of the cam lobes, which would affect the adjustment. In practice, however, I think most cam lobes are circular for much of their rotation so anywhere in the ballpark of TDC is usually OK.

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #4  
You should have the firing order in your manual, I belive it's 1 3 2 watch for the cylinder thats not moving the rockers at TDC. There should be a timing window on the flywheel or a timing mark on the front crank. at 0 deg. Should have TDC 1 then at 120 deg. Should have TDC 3 then 240 deg. TDC 2.

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #5  
You really need a workshop manual for this job to ensure you do it correctly. If you cannot get one, try your local NH dealer. They might let you may notes from their tech manuals.

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #6  
If you have a dial indicator and a mag base, these do a much better job seeing the true valve clearance. Often a feeler gage will bridge worn areas and not give a true reading.
Chris

/ How do I set valve adjustment. #7  
New member, it takes 720 degrees of crank revolution to get all 4 cycles. So, go on and set cyl #1 valves with crank on timing mark. Mark sure #1 is on compression (both rockers loose) and not on exhaust since timing marks will line up for both compression and exhaust stroke. Then turn engine 240 degrees (720 deg /3 cyls=240 deg) and set next cyl in firing order and so on. Make sure to turn engine in the right direction.
To mark crank pulley with 240 deg spacing take a cloth measuing tape and measure total circumfance of crank pulley in inches. Then divide the total inches by 3 to get the 240 degree spacings. EG, a six inch pulley reading would have three marks 2 inches apart. One mark is the factory mark.
A good pair of machinist dividers will work here as well.
After setting valve lash you on each cyl you may want to rock the crank back and forth a little bit to make sure tappet was on the absolute heel of the cam lobe when you set that valve.
What you are looking for here is if the lash loosens up a bit from your inital setting. A professional mechanic is not going to take the time to get this exact. But hey, it's not his tractor.