How do I short out a magneto??

/ How do I short out a magneto?? #1  

Silver Member
Tractor
yanmar 3810, 48 Allis B
So I purchased two Allis Chalmers, one B, and one C, hoping to put the two together and make one. I ended up with the B and this thing has been a real money pit because of all the new parts I had to purchase. The tractor was set up for electrics originally but everything from battery case to wires to lights has deteriated to a point of being unusable. To cut my costs I'm going to go without electrics, at least for the time being. Adding electrics will cost another $300.00 and I already have over 2 grand it it at the moment. The project was started on a whim, to see if I could indeed build one. I have no use for it when it is finished and I will never recover the cost of building it. Problem being I don't know how to short out the mag in order to stop it. Can anyone out there advise me on this problem? Thanks in advance.

/ How do I short out a magneto?? #2  
A lot of the old mags had a flat metal plate on the side that you held and it short circuited the coil to stop. A lot of old mag tractors were petrol(gas)/ paraffin,(TVO) and the way a lot of farmers stopped them was to switch the paraffin off and let the carb run dry and stop. This way, the petrol could be switched on for starting on an empty carb.

/ How do I short out a magneto??
Right Mate, good to hear from a Brit. Spent 20 years in the Bedford area myself. The mag does have a metal tab on the side and I was wondering what it was for. Now, am I the ground or do I have to attach a wire. Don't need a bolt up the whatsit. And thanks for the comeback.

Last edited:
   / How do I short out a magneto?? #4  
You need to push on the metal tab bending it so it hits the case ground.
To hook up a key/switch just put a wire from the tab to the switch and another wire from the switch to ground.

/ How do I short out a magneto?? #5  
Just make sure that flat plate is not touching ground all the time because it will never start.

/ How do I short out a magneto?? #6  
Back in the late 50s, I was with a group of farmers who were all stood around talking, and they were edging each other on to stop a old Ford Major by shorting out the plugs with their fingers. The first tried and finished up jumping about all over the place, and the farmers laughing. Another farmer Roger, stepped up, placed a figure onto each plug top with the end touching the engine, and stood there until the engine stopped. I was only a lad, but I never forgot that. That old Major had a magneto.

/ How do I short out a magneto??
Good story. I would have been with the laughing farmers.