How do RPM,pedal and gear relate

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #1  

drjay9051

Gold Member
Morriston, Fl. 40 miles west of Ocala. More cows
Tractor
Kioti DK 40 HST
I am new owner of CK25. Love it. Just wondering: I realize that the HST pedal acts like a gearing device, less pedal lower gear. But what about the throttle handle if I have higher RPM how does this effect the HST pedal?? Also I have three gears on the left handle so how do these relate to the HST pedal? If I am right most torque will be in low gear, high RPM and little pedal pressure. Is this correct?? Also, when using at times I find the tractor will not be up to the task. I spent over 30 minutes trying to get out a 14 inch diameter pine stump. Tried digging, pushing pulling. When pushing the CK would bog down, do I risk blowing a seal if this occurs or is there a built in safety to prevent damage? Any hints on stump removal aside from a CK35.

Thanks,
Jay

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #2  
Im not thinking these are stump removing tractors such as would be better suited with a big Case backhoe or an excavator with a thumb (if your stumps are bigger). Roots can be extremely difficult to yank out depending on tree, depth etc.

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #3  
Nothing is harder on your tractor than pulling stumps. Resist the temptation to get a run at it and/or jerk the stump out. Proper stumping equipment includes a backhoe.

I take a different approach and just leave the stump alone until I build up enough stumps to justify hiring or renting another piece of equipment to pop stumps.

I attached a photo of one stump that I spent a long long time removing. In this case I graded several feet of material away from around it as part of the project so the stump was extracted without undue abuse.

Attachments

• nose5.JPG
    nose5.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 264
   / How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #4  
Low range for the grunt work, mid for lighter duty and high for moving down the road. I use mid to push brush around and mow as well as light bucket work. If I want to really dig or push hard I go to low range. More throttle isn't necessary for medium and light work, I'll run at 2 K a lot of the time, more for harder work or mowing. You're correct that more pedal doesn't translate to more power, sometimes you can back off a little and get the job done.

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #5  
I have a ck30 with fel/ bh and removed a lot of large stumps.I would agree with the other folks that the tractor isn't made to yanK out stumps.In fact i don't know if there is anything on wheels made that the average person would use that would do it.I can tell you this I have dug out stumps with my ck30 and b.h that when i finallY got them out of the hole i could not move them with the tractor and loader. The Kioti is a very good tractor when use for what it was intended.Trust me get a b/h if you want to remove stumps.

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #6  
If a tractor w/FEL is your only option it can work on reasonable stumps, but I would use a big dose of discretion/care. First thing one will want to do is leave the stump high during the tree removal process, 4' or higher if possible, for leaverage(trick learned from working w/dozers). Get a quality chain 3/8th or larger. Then dig a little, push a little and pull a little till you get 'er loose. Take it slow and easy so you don't break something, including yourself.

As said by others, a CUT is not the preferred tool for production stump removal but I've(and many others) have done it successfully. Sure beats the shovel and mattock technique. Small pines, spruces, soft maples and such, no problem, oak, beech, hard maple put up a better fight though...... Soil type would have a HUGE influence on my decision too. Clay & rock = excavator hire for me, whereas sandy or loose soil types I'd give it a shot.

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #7  
I hired a guy with a 28,000 lb Kubota excavator to clear my lot. Cost $110 an hour, but what a show. That thing was awesome. If you don't have enough work to justify that, how about a stump grinder?

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #8  
Redrocker, when you say to really dig or push go to low range. Are you talking about when you use a backhoe to dig or the bucket to dig with.

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate #9  
drjay note that high range is useless for doing any work, anything but traveling on the level or downhill.

and don't forget to clutch when changing gears

and don't abuse that FEL, i hope you have the new one, but especially with the old one don't...

good luck, change all those fluids and filters at 50 hours, always get on from the left side of the tractor so you don't catch the FEL control in your clothing and move the FEL accidently or hurt the control which has proven to be a bit delicate.

use the brake lock anytime you are off the tractor and if you're new to all this be very careful, everything is very heavy and can be dangerous...

good luck

mike

/ How do RPM,pedal and gear relate
Thanks all for your input. Still not sure how HST pedal, gear shift and hand throttle interrelate. Mike: Appreciate your safety tips. I will use the brake now that I almost had the ck roll over my foot on a very slight incline. Also, I now dismount on left only as on two occasions I have accidentally turned off the key while getting off on right side

Jay