How do you collect your oil

/ How do you collect your oil #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The former owner of the property here told me he used diesel to keep the weeds and grass down in the drive. I wish he'd never told me that /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )</font>

The microbes in the soil will digest the small amounts of diesel and after about ten years, there will be no trace of it. Used motor oil on the other hand, has a lot of contaminants that will never go away. Gasoline is the same way... once the ground is polluted, then it has to be dug up and left to the air to evaporate.

/ How do you collect your oil #22  
I drive down the road about a mile to the old store with the contaminated property sign and pull the plug. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How do you collect your oil #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I drive down the road about a mile to the old store with the contaminated property sign and pull the plug. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

How do you get it back home /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Or do you take your new oil with you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ How do you collect your oil #24  
Another idea: I have an old plastic curbside trashcan that is torn at the top. I plan on cutting it down and using it as a drain pan. Not pretty but the price is great.

/ How do you collect your oil #25  
Those cement curbside evacuators work pretty good to! You hardly have to get it close either and the oil is just sucked down the hole it amazing!!

Aprox 20+ years ago when I lived in Montana we had a gravel road about 2 miles long. There was also a 2 mile private loop with 10 acre(min) lots. Most peeps saved thier oil and dumped into the tanker trailer. It had a pump connected to a pipe with holes driled in it for a road oiler. The gravel was then oiled. It worked great for packing the gravel and keeping the dust down. There was a lot of pissin an moanin when the EPA or whoever said not to do that anymore. Nobody wanted to pay for chemicals to do the same thing though.

I never thought about the road gravel and what the county/city does. So, is there anything that could be added to the oil to make it safe to use on the drive, road, etc..?

/ How do you collect your oil #26  
My L3130 which is pretty comparable to your 4310 drained about 11 gallons out. I have a few of those 15qt closed top drain pans. Just swapped them and dumped the full one into my drum while the other fills. I've used gallon milk containers and 2 1/2 gallon kero contaners etc.. in the past. Then take them to Jiffy Lube or equivelent.

My curb post was joke.

/ How do you collect your oil #27  
Do they actually recommend draining out the transmission and hydraulic oil after only 50 hours?

Wonder why they don't have a low spot magnetic plug that you can quickly change out? Think iron filings are likely the only stuff they'd be worrying about.

On std tranmission cars and differentials of cars, I don't change them until the seals start slinging fluid. Then change them out, and the seals usually reseal. Do this with power steering fluid, too. Suck it or syphon it out and replace to stop seals from slinging.

On my Gravely, I just drained the 6 quarts from its transmission onto the ground. Transmission oil doesn't have any significant additives, and small amounts will biodegrade easily. When you're talking about gallons of it, I think taking it out and straining it or running by a magnet somehow would fix it up, unless the seals have started slinging. Then it needs to be replaced.

Ralph

/ How do you collect your oil #28  
heck he lives here in ohio and those silly people are known to set rivers on fire! don't anyone remember the cayugaha )spelling?) on fire it made the evening news for about 3 weeks straight! ran through downtown cleveland back n the 70's! though great strides have been made some people never learn... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I might see spraying a bit of used on a fire or pile to get it burning or onto a dusty drive on an as needed basis but simply dumping into pile only contaminated ground water in about 4~6 years... (much faster than most people realize!)

Mark M Ohio native! born in Lodi and raised by wolves tamed by none (though a few girls have tried /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

/ How do you collect your oil #29  
I just straddle the drainage ditch beside the road after a good rain and then pull the plug. I think it ends up in my neighbor's pond. i don't like him anyway. Besides, it makes a nice rainbow on the surface when the sun hits it just right... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif