How do you deal with difficult customers???

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #51  
my ad says prices NORMALLY 35-50 per acre. Again, NORMALLY. There was nothing normal about mowing around hundreds of large trees in 3 small lots that total 2 acres, and briars and torn trees so dense they needed backing through. THATS NOT MOWING.

The shame of this is she will hire it out to someone next year and the guy will have a lot less work because of all you did this year and she will badmouth that LD1 guy who charged so much last year. That is how it usually goes it seems. I would just let it go. Grin and bear it. Then forget it.

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #52  
You should have taken the time to look at the job...You are supposed to be the professional.....You gave her the price and should have completed the job as she asked. Just because it was not easy is no excuse...Around these parts it's the "Beltway Telegraph" and I figure your name will be mud as far as she goes and anyone she speaks to.....Never know now exactly how much work you may have lost by not taking care of the new neighbor.....I use a 20 foot batwing and always walk and look a job over BEFORE I price it....How can anyone realistically set a price sight unseen is beyond me.....

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #53  
You gave her the price and should have completed the job as she asked. Just because it was not easy is no excuse...
Did you not read the thread? He gave her a price to mow inside the "pasture", mowed it and then she wanted him to mow and additional area outside the "pasture" for no extra cost.

Aaron Z

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #54  
Did you not read the thread? He gave her a price to mow inside the "pasture", mowed it and then she wanted him to mow and additional area outside the "pasture" for no extra cost.

Aaron Z
You missed the point...She wasn't right, however doing a little extra could have been money in the bank for future business...Oh well, just more work for someone else.....

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #55  
You missed the point...She wasn't right, however doing a little extra could have been money in the bank for future business...Oh well, just more work for someone else.....

Usually these type of people will not be loyal customers. If they can find someone to do it for a penny less they will get them to do it even though they were satisfied with the job they got before.

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #56  
hey, I'm with you LD1... I understand what you are saying. There is a difference between asking for a little extra and demanding more trying to imply that you are ripping her off. Luckily I haven't had any experiences like this. In fact, just the opposite. I had a neighbor (2-minute tractor drive from my house) ask me to mow 2 pastures that totaled a little over 2 acres. It was very tall grass- like 8 feet in some spots. He was close and a neighbor, so I told him $100. He was okay with that and when I finished he asked if I could mow the ditches outside the fence and how much would I want. Probably took me about 20 minutes and I told him not to worry about it, but when he wrote the check he gave me $115 and insisted on paying more because he asked more than the original deal.

He actually called me back again this year. He has moved out and is starting to rent out the property. I quoted higher this time because the field was in terrible shape, and since he was renting it out I figured he wanted it to look presentable so I offered to trim around the fences and he agreed. Well... me being a little **** decided just trimming wasn't enough and I ended up chainsawing a bunch of "weed" trees that had grown up along the outside of the fence. I ended up hauling it all away and filled 6 truck/trailer loads back to my place to burn. Looking back now, I way under charged him. I think I totaled about 14 hours on this job, but it was close and I spread it out over almost a whole week (the hauling away and burning was a lot of it).

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #57  
Very difficult to read this second had........I can see some gray areas. I would hope you carry insurance on a farm policy to do this kind of work...Your homeowners won't cover you hiring out...If not.. it's better for you to stay put....

/ How do you deal with difficult customers???
Very difficult to read this second had........I can see some gray areas. I would hope you carry insurance on a farm policy to do this kind of work...Your homeowners won't cover you hiring out...If not.. it's better for you to stay put....

Yes, but what does insurance have to do with this discussion??

/ How do you deal with difficult customers??? #59  
Look at P clausens build for his mother , stick frame home in 90 days . It goes south real quick .

/ How do you deal with difficult customers???
Look at P clausens build for his mother , stick frame home in 90 days . It goes south real quick .

I never did read that thead.

I try not to get involved in the ones that are tons of pages long. IF I did, I'd never catch any of the other threads or get anything done.

Maybe I'll have to give it a look.