How do you diagnose weak/slow FEL?

/ How do you diagnose weak/slow FEL?
Hooked_on_HP said:
Monte, your control valve should have its own pressure releif valve. It will screw in to a port in the valve. They are usually about an inch and a half long. Sometimes it has a cover over it that unscrews so you can adjust it. You should have a pressure guage hooked up when you try to adjust it.

There's one thing on the valve that might be what you describe. It's not inline with either of the spools. Looks like you use a large screwdriver to open it up, though it has a good 27 year coat of rust on it. I'll start with some penetrating oil and see if I can get it loosened up and see if that's the relief valve. I think it's on the pressure side of the valve, if that makes a difference.

Monte

/ How do you diagnose weak/slow FEL? #12  
Did you run the tractor loader for a while and see if that area heats up?

jb

john_bud said:
Did you run the tractor loader for a while and see if that area heats up?

jb

No, haven't done that yet, it's been too wet and muddy to do anything lately.

Monte

Some progress: I started the tractor up and ran the loader against the stops and listened for noise from either relief valve, the one on the loader control valve or the one on the tractor itself. The loader control valve relief valve was the one opening up first. I added one thinish washer to it to step it up a little and ran the tractor again. Now the relief valve on the tractor is the one working. The loader has a touch more lifting power, but not much. Next I'll install a pressure gauge and see what the actual pressure is. I know the tractor relief valve is working, so that's good for now. As for speed, I guess it's just a small pump, until I add a flow meter, if I ever do. Either that, or go with a pto pump. Neither one is pocket change.

Monte

/ How do you diagnose weak/slow FEL? #15  
MOnte,

A clean gallon jug and a watch with a second hand is all you need to measure flow. Don't over think it. Undo a line from the loader valve that at the loader, before it splits it two flows. Start the tractor put the hose into the bucket and time how fast it fills. If you mark quarts or even pints on the jug, it helps.

Before you reconnect that line (after you pour the fluid back) you can put a gage onto the line and activate the loader control to directly measure the pressure to the cylinders. It's a dead head, but the loader relief valve will operate.
jb

/ How do you diagnose weak/slow FEL? #16  
Monte, what rpm are you running the engine when useing the fel.When I first got my tractor I thought mine were slow also. I was running at low rpm's. The people on TBN explained that I was running the engine to slow. After I started operating at 2000 rpm's everything was fine.

Hooked_on_HP said:
Monte, what rpm are you running the engine when useing the fel.When I first got my tractor I thought mine were slow also. I was running at low rpm's. The people on TBN explained that I was running the engine to slow. After I started operating at 2000 rpm's everything was fine.

Maybe not 2000, but close. I'll pay more attention next time.

Monte

/ How do you diagnose weak/slow FEL? #18  
Monte,

Your profile doesn't show where you are located.

Is it possible that your tractor (and hydraulic fluid) is just really cold? My 5015, which I think was basically the same as your 5020 -- only a little smaller, sure was happier when it was above about 40.

Knute

knute_m said:
Monte,

Your profile doesn't show where you are located.

Is it possible that your tractor (and hydraulic fluid) is just really cold? My 5015, which I think was basically the same as your 5020 -- only a little smaller, sure was happier when it was above about 40.

Knute

Knute,
I'm in Bellingham, WA. It's been chilly, but I haven't paid attention to whether it made a difference to the loader.

Monte