How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #61  
Just heard back from No Spill and unfortunately their cans are not approved for sale in Canada.

Thank you, Smithpond, for the follow up. :thumbsup:
That of course sucks. Wonder why Canada feels it's less safe than the US.
Guess I gotta pick one up when I'm south - or order the one from Amazon (around 60 bucks though with shipping & taxes, and probably customs fees too).

However, does anyone have any experience with the DuraMAX Flo n'Go product. Looks nice too, but how does it handle. The Flo n'Gos are available at Canadian Tire.
They only come in 'red' though - means gas.

Is there a difference in material for diesel canisters. They are yellow - and cost about 50% more. Just bought a Scepter 5.3gal diesel can today for C$14.99 (the same in red is C$9.99).

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #62  
Is there a difference in material for diesel canisters. They are yellow - and cost about 50% more. Just bought a Scepter 5.3gal diesel can today for C$14.99 (the same in red is C$9.99).

no difference.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #64  
How do you fill the 55 gal tank? Is it in the bed of your pickup? Always heard not to fill a tank in the back of your truck but to place it on the ground due to the possibilty of static electricity igniting the fumes somehow. Not trying to be the safety police but like the idea if it can be done safely.

Not an issue with diesel fuel, since the vapors aren't explosive.

Plastic gas cans can be an issue with static charge and gasoline vapors, since they don't ground well to the metal fuel nozzle. It is a good idea to put your plastic GASoline cans on the ground when filling them.:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna look into it. Should save a lot of effort over time.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #65  
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna look into it. Should save a lot of effort over time.

It's a little bit of up front money but once you get yourself a 55 gallon drum set up with a pump you'll not regret it. I prefer an electric pump over a hand crank because it's no different than filling up your car, once the tank is full it trips the nozzle so you don't have to keep track. Also since the nozzle is the shut off the diesel in the hose is not going to leak out when you remove it from the tank.

I also have mine on a home built wooden frame with wheels I got from Harbor Freight. I roll the drum the garage where needed and out of the way when not needed. If you call your local fuel dealer you can get them to deliver usually even though it's below their minimum as long as you're not in a hurry. I know of very few that will not make an extra stop when in the area, they just don't like to make a special trip.

I also took a piece of 1/10" thick steel 1 1/2" wide and bent it into a circle so I can wrap it around the can. It has a bolt that connects the two ends together and clamps it to the drum. I have 4 single 5/16" chain links welded on it so I have an easy place to attach straps to it while on a trailer or in the back of the truck or to lift it out when full.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #66  
at moment with some old 5 gallon gas cans, that i have labeled with black marker for diesel. but to be honest. it is a pain in rear to fill. having just enough foot hold for just one foot. and having to prop other foot on front tire or frame of FEL. and hardly anything to lean against easily to keep my balance. and by the time i get high enough. it is a chore to lift the 5 gallon jugs right at head height and get them tipped into the fuel hole.

same goes for allis chalmers CA, having the belly mower on, helps give me a little stand to get the gas cans up, and tipped. but still fairly high.

==============
i have been tempted to get some pulleys and some cable and some hooks. so i can place pulley up high in the shed, and just lift gas can straight up on the pulley cable. and then tie off. so i can put gas into the allis chalmers CA tractor.

but for the ford 555c TLB and diesel, tractor to big to fit in shed.

================
i have a couple 300 gravity tanks that set up on a stand. but they are to large for amount of gas and diesel i go through in a year. and i am not real keen of having to add extra preservatives or dealing with moisture.

that and having gas and/or diesel delivered, has been a costly venture, the couple companies near me, end up charging any were from 10 cents to a buck more than what the price is at local gas stations.

==================
if i had a pickup truck, vs a blazer, i might opt for a gas tank that fits in back of the pickup truck. some are built in L shape. to fit under a tool box. this would be a good option for me.

if i had a large size pickup truck, i might see how much it would cost to get a second tank placed under the bed. and then just fill up rear tank. and instead of hooking second tank up to truck, just place valve and pump on it. so i could fill up something else up.

i have been tempted to get a plastic 55 gallon drum, or perhaps a metal drum. and just strap it down onto a trailer and haul it into the gas station and fill it up. and then once back home. use the FEL on tractor to move it off trailer and put some place. with a hand pump or 12v pump on it. but after reading through regulations for Illinois i am not sure if that is legal. and looking at fines. i was discouraged.

i was more discouraged, about permanent gas tanks vs portable gas tanks for storage of gas and of diesel. and reading needing double wall tanks and if not double wall a catch basin and blah blah blah. my mind just went blank and gave up.

i would most likely be less discouraged if i understood the regulations better, and could set something up. so i would not fear of going BOOM! after reading through "grounding wires" so you do not create a spark just from static electricity. with a permanent tank and filling a tractor up. has me on edge even more.

===============
so for now, it is 5 gallon gas cans, and waiting to see a good deal on 12v or hand pump for gas and then one for diesel. and them some tanks both for hauling back and forth between gas station and farm, and then some tanks to store the gas and diesel here on the farm.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #68  
I went to northern tool and bought a 15 gallon can that has a squeeze pump handle on it. It also has 2 ball valves that turn on and off supply to a 10 ft hose. It works pretty well is you don't mind the work out of the hand. Oh the only other bad thing is its kinda heavy in and out of the truck but I'm working on that one to.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #69  
It's a little bit of up front money but once you get yourself a 55 gallon drum set up with a pump you'll not regret it. I prefer an electric pump over a hand crank because it's no different than filling up your car, once the tank is full it trips the nozzle so you don't have to keep track. Also since the nozzle is the shut off the diesel in the hose is not going to leak out when you remove it from the tank......l.

This sounds great. Where can I find a setup like this? The tank i can get but I'm interested in the pump hose, nozzle and trip.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #70  
At times when I run out of gas for mower, I hook up a fuel pressure tester guage hose to a vehical and start engine, takes about 5 min to fill 5 gal can. I have thought about adding a T to fuel line on my truck with a hose and valve, could use a quick connect coupler for hose. If installed after filter, you can have fresh, clean, fuel at anytime:thumbsup:
There would be no need for gas cans or bulk tank moisture problems:D