How do you keep trespassers off of your property??

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #31  
Just replying to the bottom.

The Ditch/berm idea works if it's big enough. 4ft or more deep and pile the dirt to the inside of the property so if they get across the ditch, they high center on the hill. Takes quite a bit of pulling to overcome an object with no wheels under it. Fairly common around here.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #32  
Have you considered parking a Mother In Law at the gate? That would certainly keep intruders away, and probably scare the heck out of bears, cougars and any other wild critter that might be near. . . then again the ASPCA might cite you for cruelty to animals?

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #33  
Dargo,

The ditch would work good for the trucks but will it stop ATV's?

Brian

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #34  
Get some dynamite, and blow some holes in the ground in random places. Throw some old shredded clothes up in a tree. Put up a sign that says "warning minefield ahead".

Or, get some steel angle iron, weld on some big barn nails, and throw them in various mud puddles.

Or, get a tree mounted camera to get license plates. Then press charges for tresspassing.

For ATV riders, nothing works like 120 pound test black spider wire at 20 MPH.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property??
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The ditch would work good for the trucks but will it stop ATV's?))</font>

The ditch I have in mind will. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Fortunately my buddy who owns the excavating company seems to think that he owes me (really, and I'm not sure why - I'm just worried what he wants /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) and offered to dig the ditch free. I told him what I wanted and reminded him that that the road runs along over a mile of my property line. Still, he said "no problem". So, I guess a moat it will be. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now, for the gate...

In order to be able to make the turn with my trailer behind my truck, I'll need a wide gate. (This ditch will only leave the entrance I use open) What would be the best way to make a really solid gate that is about 20 feet wide or more? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'd like to be able to use 4" iron pipe for the construction of most of it since my excavating friend offered me "all you need" of that. I realize that I'll probably need to put a center hitch with a drop leg in the middle. I think I'll need to come up with some rather strong hinges and some strong posts for the gate as well. Ideas on a gate? Other ideas on the ditch? I'm planning on making the ditch about 3' deep with about 2-3' of spoil on the inside.

Oh yeah, thanks for the MIL suggestion Bob. Unfortunately I'd have to feed her as well if she stayed there. I can't afford that. I don't have that sort of resources. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #36  
I've read thru most of the offerings here. The irony for me is that on my small 30 acre place I have a somewhat similar situation except that the destruction of property is minimal at best....or worst....Hmmmm. Anyway, there are alot of things you can try. One I didn't see necessarily mentioned was a somewhat clandestine camping weekend on your property. The intent here of course is to catch the violators. I think the first thing I would do to CMA would be to file official complaints with the law enforcement agencies available to you. From police to sheriff to wildlife and game to, yes, even the FBI. The point here would be my belief that some vigilante or terrorist organization has attempted to set up camp on your property... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif 9-11 has created a whole new set of concerns for this country.

Once you have done your "due diligence" you can then begin the process of protecting your property as you need to in an effort eliminate the destruction and misuse by others.

Offering up a place for locals to respectfully use thier toys could actually serve as a way to provide added security for the place.

Kind of like the honey vs vinegar theory.

You would, however need to take the time to identify the intruders so you could approach them specifically.

It's very possible that this won't work and your actions would need to be more agressive. Certainly not what anyone would want or encourage, but you have to protect what's yours!!!

Anyway... I was just thinking out loud and felt compelled to share these thoughts.

Best of luck with your situation.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #37  
Block the access with 5000 - 10,000 lb boulders. A few of those will slow em down enough to look elsewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #38  
Your original idea is the best i've seen here.Spike the main trails they use and they will soon go away.

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( called the sherriff gave vehicle descriptions and lic #'s and he picked up a couple of DUI's down the road about 5 miles from my house. More scum caught )</font>

Hah! Good for you. Excellent cool-headed thinking on your part!

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How do you keep trespassers off of your property?? #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( plant poison ivy all over the gate and entrance where the problem occurs. You might not get them in the act, but they will remember where and when they got the poison ivy and will stay away for the future. Don't know where to purchase poison ivy plants, but like everything else, there is some place that must sell it.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Come to my place, I'll give you all the poison Oak you want.