How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter?

/ How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter? #11  
My largest phd job is coming up in a week or so, 1200 holes with the 12" auger to full depth. Digging holes to start grape vines for our new vineyard. I am wondering how long this is going to take? Will be using my hyd. auger on my backhoe for this. Hoping I can make three rows at a time with 6' spacing between the plants. May have to make two rows at a time. Betting I will be sick of this before it is all done.

For large gate posts I recommend a spotter but for small posts I agree with the others just make a hole large enough to be able to set the post plumb. Thankfully this won't be an issue for the vines. Straight rows is the concern.

We used a Dingo TX427 with auger head and 9 inch bit to do 4200 holes in 10days for our vineyard. Here's a link to that ..... EnoViti: Trepanning with the Dingo . We have another 1500 plants coming in this year and I will be able to comfortably do that in 5 days. My soils are sandy loam with lots of stones and occasional rocks. If you have any questions let me know.

/ How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter? #12  
We used a Dingo TX427 with auger head and 9 inch bit to do 4200 holes in 10days for our vineyard. Here's a link to that ..... EnoViti: Trepanning with the Dingo . We have another 1500 plants coming in this year and I will be able to comfortably do that in 5 days. My soils are sandy loam with lots of stones and occasional rocks. If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks for the info, if I can plant 1200 in 4-5 days that will work. Did you use spray paint to mark the holes?

/ How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter? #13  
   / How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter?
Thanks for the info, if I can plant 1200 in 4-5 days that will work. Did you use spray paint to mark the holes?
Always. Much easier to mark stuff properly beforehand than line up each one as you go. We setup the alignment string and were marking/digging 1 at a time for my fence to get spacing right for the top bar. If it hadn't been for the top bar id have marked all the holes in 1 session then promptly dug them.

/ How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter? #15  

Yes. We spray painted marks for the auger tip to hit on one row while augering on another row. It's good to have friends to help to make the process work in parallel.

/ How do you level/plumb your PHD without a spotter? #16  
Yes. We spray painted marks for the auger tip to hit on one row while augering on another row. It's good to have friends to help to make the process work in parallel.

What spacing are you using? We are looking at 6' spacing on the vines with the rows 8' apart. Thanks