Mowing How do you mow rough ground quickly?

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #21  
Invest some time and diesel fuel into smoothing the ground out. Or rent some of the 15 acres out to someone who needs more hay ground.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #22  
I would get something like a Kubota F3990 with a 100'' deck.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #23  
Disc and drag are the only way to ensure a really smooth surface. You'll have to make several passes to get it done.

Right. Bigger, wider tractors don't make the ground itself any smoother.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #24  
When I switched to a tractor with a shock absorber loaded seat, I thought the ride impoved considerably.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #25  
When I switched to a tractor with a shock absorber loaded seat, I thought the ride impoved considerably.

Ride for you may have improved a lot, but what about your equipment. It is still absorbing the bouncing and jouncing from the rough ground.

For single set of tire ruts, it is easy to smooth out, just disk and drag or use your tiller to loosen up some dirt so you can use the FEL to back blade it. Rutted areas don't need any more dirt as the ruts just displaced the soil, so it just needs to get the high sides back into the rut.

Sorry to say that for totally rutted up or otherwise rough areas, disking and dragging then reseeding will be about all you can do to it. In the long run though, this will save your back and your equipment plus cut down on future mowing time.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #26  
Only thing I found is the same as the rest. mechanically smooth it out. Till it and drag it then seed it. Good time to incorporate lime, fertilizer and any other amendments a soil test shows you to be lacking. As the OP has 15 acres, cost may be prohibitive. There may be opportunities to buy a few dump trucks of dirt and fill in low spots a shovel full at a time.

Alternatively, a big (and I mean BIG) lawn roller may also work. I've seen posts here where a person converted a 250 or 500 gallon propane tank into a roller. Do it in the spring and fall when rains have softened the ground. Then, after rolling, plug aerating will be needed to open the ground backup after compacting it with the heavy roller. It will take multiple rollings and aerating to get it tamed, but it should work. If you can get a junk propane tank and have a welder, it will be cheaper than tilling and reseeding.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #27  
Ride for you may have improved a lot, but what about your equipment. It is still absorbing the bouncing and jouncing from the rough ground.

For single set of tire ruts, it is easy to smooth out, just disk and drag or use your tiller to loosen up some dirt so you can use the FEL to back blade it. Rutted areas don't need any more dirt as the ruts just displaced the soil, so it just needs to get the high sides back into the rut.

Sorry to say that for totally rutted up or otherwise rough areas, disking and dragging then reseeding will be about all you can do to it. In the long run though, this will save your back and your equipment plus cut down on future mowing time.

I agree. Even if the machine has a nice suspension seat and rides smooth or the machine has a suspension running fast over rough ground will beat it to pieces.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #29  
I have 15 rolling to hilly acres that I mow and I am finding that the speed of mowing is not limited by the tractor or mower but limited by the bouncing and rough ride caused by my rough ground. I am looking at purchasing a front mounted 4x4 dedicated mower Kubota f series or New Holland MC. A dealer loaned me a used NH MC-35 to try and I found that it was bouncing all over the place when I tried to mow fast. The seat was comfortable but really had no suspension other than the basic padding. Would a seat with suspension or a mower with suspension really help? I have been told to stay away from zero turn mowers due the the hilly terrain I have on some of my property. Anyone with experience using a mower that can travel fast and mow over rough ground (not bounce you out of your seat) that can also mow sideways on hills? The older I get, sorer my back gets!

I agree with the back and now my legs. I had a 60" belly and have some rough hills that I cannot cut sideways with my 4210 as I have had tires come off ground and almost roll. I went with a ZTR commercial grade mower 66" deck and cut 3 hours off my time and can cut many of the hills sideways. These things are made to be used and will withstand a beating. Getting older and a rough ride is not fun, recommend upgrade on seat.

Only other solution is to smooth out the land.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #30