How do you Poo?

/ How do you Poo? #51  
My house in the Rockies where I live most of the time is on Septic with a Gravity Leech Field and I have a Private Well with great tasting water. My house in Calif is City Sewer and City Water. My house in Chile is City Sewer and City Water.
Jim

/ How do you Poo? #52  
There's a joke lurking in there about the house in Chile'. I'll let it be.:D

/ How do you Poo? #53  
There's a joke lurking in there about the house in Chile'. I'll let it be.:D

Actually not. My wife left for a relaxing 3 months in Chile just before the 8.8 quake hit. Over 380 earthquakes later she is ready to come back to CA.
Jim

/ How do you Poo? #54  
Neither, we are on genuine cesspool. A nice round 6 ft diameter hole about 14+ ft deep with a nice concrete cap with a cleanout.

What a scam. The county/state require each one to be designed by an engineer. Basically they all use the same drawing and collect around $300 for their professional stamp

Note for the curious - cesspools aren't legal everywhere, smaller properties/other locations require septic. Very little municipal sewer here.

David

/ How do you Poo? #55  
Actually not. My wife left for a relaxing 3 months in Chile just before the 8.8 quake hit. Over 380 earthquakes later she is ready to come back to CA.
Jim

Glad to hear the Mrs. is OK. 380? Are you serious? Wow!

/ How do you Poo? #56  
Aerobic for us. Works well. so far. 3 months since installation. $3.00/month for chlorine and whatever the pump uses for electricity. 2 year warranty/maintenance contract came with the deal.

/ How do you Poo? #57  
Septic here.

Am I the only one man enough to admit that I peeked in after reading the title of the thread to see what the answers were?

:eek:

/ How do you Poo? #58  
20 years on septic, now on muni sewer:mad: what a racket, they charge me for the privilege of processing my poo:confused2::(

Last edited:
   / How do you Poo? #59  
Septic and am in the process of upgrading to a new system since my wife decided to add an additional bathroom. The current one is 1,000 gals and one leach field. The new one will be 1500 gals and three fields. Estimated cost will be 5K.

As an aside. I couldn't be happier since I fled a small Massachusetts city where my sewer bill was almost 1K per year.

Also, now have private well so no more paying for city water that is treated and laced with floride.

/ How do you Poo? #60  
Here we have to dig a test hole and unless water drains in a set amount of time, a septic tank is not allowed. We are on clay, so all new systems that go in are aerobic (Klargester), as they do not make the timescales. The Klargester we had at previous house needed an annual service and 6 monthly emptying of solids from solid tank. It did discharge clean water to the ditch though.

At current house we have three tanks in series that then drain via weeper drains under the field, two take solids, the third tends to catch any water that flows back in from the weeper drains.

We have only emptied tanks once when moved in - so 9 years ago. Since then it just seems to disolve itself and breakdown. We would not now be allowed this system on a new build.

My personal thinking is the best system would be a combination of the two - septic tanks to catch and disolve the solids (to eliminate 6 monthly empty) feeding an aerobic (Klargester) system to purify the water.

J