How do you remove the mower pulley nut?

/ How do you remove the mower pulley nut? #1  

surfran

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
I know this is a stupid question, but I need to remove the mower pulley but cannot see any way to hold the pulley while untightening the nut. When I held with the blade below the blade nut just loosened up. I even tried to hold the belt tight but it just slipped as well.

What are the tricks or do I need some type of special tool?

Thanks for any help.

/ How do you remove the mower pulley nut? #2  
Perhaps use an impact gun while holding the belt or blade using the necessary precautions not to hurt yourself.

/ How do you remove the mower pulley nut? #3  
were you holding the blade bolt or the blade itself. if you were on the bolt that holds blde on yeah it going to lossen and top nut on pully will tighten. put your blde bolt on and get you some rags very thick and hold blade and lossen nut on pully. or like what was said before use a impact wrench is the fastest way if you donnot have to pull deck from mower. not sure but if you have blades that donnot fit on a star shaped shaft you may be forced to use impact.

/ How do you remove the mower pulley nut? #4  
Put some PB Blaster on the pulley nut then wait 15 minutes. You can stop the blade from turning by using a clamp and piece of 2X4.

/ How do you remove the mower pulley nut?
Perhaps use an impact gun while holding the belt or blade using the necessary precautions not to hurt yourself.

I don't know why I didn't think to use my impact wrench after I took the mower deck off but I tightened the blade bolt back up and then put the impact on the pulley nut and voila it worked like a charm. Sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious for the light bulb to go off.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies as well. I did have the blade blocked with a wood block to begin with and had the mower deck still on the unit so not way to put an impact at that time (not that I thought of it anyhow). I ended up taking the deck off and cleaning the pulley area up looking for something to lock it with a screwdriver, but that didn't pan out either so that's when I asked on here and received the tips.

The PBBlaster was a good suggestion also. I typically use it on rusted but didn't even think to use that here either........

Thanks to all for quick responses and again showing why this community is a great place for those seeking knowledge (and just a swift kick in the pants at times).

/ How do you remove the mower pulley nut? #6  
Sufran,

Thanks for following up with the outcome to complete the thread...