HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP?

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #1  

JHFV

Tractor
mahindra 3525
I got a pump to pump water out of my pond and i cant figure out how to get the thing started. i filled up the bell housing full of water and then laid the hose in the water and it would never start up. the engine runs fine. what am i not doing right?

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #2  
Do you have a rigid hose on the suction side with a strainer?

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #3  
Frequently the problem is a tiny leak on the intake side. Check carefully. Could also have a bad seal on the impeller shaft.

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #4  
Mornin JHFV,
As Steve stated allready you need hard suction on the intake side along with a strainer and you need a good seal between the pickup hose and the pump ! As you stated, you need to fill the pump cavity with water before starting and have someone put their hand over the discharge hose while starting, this also seems to help obtaining a prime !

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP?
Yes i have the rigid hose with a strainer. where the hose goes into the pump a little bit of water drips there. could this be a problem?

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #6  
Does the pump empty out your prefilled bell housing? How long is the pickup hose?

I rented a trash pump to drain a pond and foun that placing the pump near the pond made it easier to get started. Less vertical pumping I suppose. Once the pump was pushing water it really moved a lot of water fast. The engine will lug down when it starts working.

The reason I had to restart the pump several times is that the strainer kept getting clogged with salamanders. Those guys were having a bad bad day.

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #7  
Is there a foot valve incorporated into the strainer on the end of the suction line? IF not and you are trying to lift water, you probably need one. You need to fill the entire suction line with water and the foot valve(a large bore flapper check valve) allows this by keeping the fill water poured in at the pump from running back into the pond. Just like a siphon won't work with air in the line, a pump will also quit with too much air in the line. Any air in the line will stretch instead of transfering the suction force to the water below it. This air will stretch till it reaches the pump impeller then you will loose any suction you did have as the pump impeller spins in air. Like any hydraulic system, it is far easier to draw air in thru a leak than to suck fluid thru a line so the suction line must be airtight.

I used to set up emergency pumps onboard ship and we would accomplish the suction line prime in one of 2 ways. With a line attached to the top of the suction hose(where it attaches to the pump inlet), we would throw the whole suction line over the side and allow it to submerge and fill, then we would pull up the suction hose(full of water, held there by the foot valve) and connect it to the pump. The pumps we used had a small hand suction pump to finish lifting water up the suction line to fill the pump housing and finish the prime. Any leak where the hose met the pump and you couldn't finish the prime with the hand pump. These pumps also had a large funnel fitting on the pump body with a sealable hatch. You could drop a bucket on a line over the side and fill the pump and line down to the foot valve using buckets poured down thru this funnel. Any significant air leak in the line or trapped airpocket that reached the pump, and the pump would loose prime...

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #8  
One of the tricks we use is while you prime it, stand on the discharge hose as close to the pump as you can (assuming it's the flexible type like fire hose). Then start the pump while still standing on the hose. As it starts to pump, it will lift your foot due to pressure and then work normally. If you don't do this, it simply pumps the prime into the discharge hose.

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #9  
As said, you can't have any leaks on the suction side. You can have all the leaks you want on the pressure side but the suction side can't tolerate much, if any.

Also, it takes some time for the pump to prime if you're lifting any distance. It takes about 60-70 seconds for mine to start pumping when I'm loading water out of the creek and that is only a lift of about six feet.

/ HOW DO YOU START A TRASH/WATER PUMP? #10  
If the suction has a foot valve you may get it to pick up suction by moving the suction line up and down in the water. Acts like a pump and may help. The air on the connection is a very possible thing preventing pickup.:D