HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #31  
humm....I can go see it since I'm in Houston!...I can send you pics

Nope, I just got an email tonight and he brought it home today. I did point out the issues that Pappa has had in these 3 threads and asked him about his trailer.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #32  
Nope, I just got an email tonight and he brought it home today. I did point out the issues that Pappa has had in these 3 threads and asked him about his trailer.
I'm curious what his response was. I've been following this saga also.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3
It was probably because he was mad and had to build you another trailer. Is your dealer still selling these trailers? Do they have any on their lot that are poorly made like yours? I think the manufacturer should be reported, one of his trailers could get somebody killed.

You may be right, he was getting paid to make another trailer, however he did have to take the old one back which probably didn't set well with him. The dealer gets them in one or two at a time (as needed) for deals. I didn't see any on the lot the last time I was there, so I cant really comment about how they were build, but if I were a betting man I would say they were built as poorly as mine was. I am currently looking for the right "Channels" to report the manufacturer, but D.O.T. is not the easiest group of people to get in touch with and report anything. I have appointments with a few Judges and District Attorneys I know for help in getting the proper authorities involved for inspection, but I'm trying to keep things quiet so they don't have time to clean up their act before they are inspected. The dealer is getting copies of pictures and documents involving the manufactures practices to hopefully deter them from getting another "bad trailer" on their lot to sell to an us-suspecting customer. It has been amazing to me to find out how un-governed trailer manufacturers are. Its in almost every state I have researched so far. No one checks up on them, and manufacturers are able to cut corners and surprisingly enough they even break Federal Guidelines day after day without fines or punishment (example: reflective tape on the back of utility trailers is REQUIRED on each trailer towed by a truck or car!). <<<<You don't see much of that at all, and that's a FEDERAL mandate!! :confused3:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #34  
You may be right, he was getting paid to make another trailer, however he did have to take the old one back which probably didn't set well with him. The dealer gets them in one or two at a time (as needed) for deals. I didn't see any on the lot the last time I was there, so I cant really comment about how they were build, but if I were a betting man I would say they were built as poorly as mine was. I am currently looking for the right "Channels" to report the manufacturer, but D.O.T. is not the easiest group of people to get in touch with and report anything. I have appointments with a few Judges and District Attorneys I know for help in getting the proper authorities involved for inspection, but I'm trying to keep things quiet so they don't have time to clean up their act before they are inspected. The dealer is getting copies of pictures and documents involving the manufactures practices to hopefully deter them from getting another "bad trailer" on their lot to sell to an us-suspecting customer. It has been amazing to me to find out how un-governed trailer manufacturers are. Its in almost every state I have researched so far. No one checks up on them, and manufacturers are able to cut corners and surprisingly enough they even break Federal Guidelines day after day without fines or punishment (example: reflective tape on the back of utility trailers is REQUIRED on each trailer towed by a truck or car!). <<<<You don't see much of that at all, and that's a FEDERAL mandate!! :confused3:
Most companies that get fined just don't care because they make more money then the fines cost them and it is cheaper for them to continue their ways as SOP. Governments need to fine the habitual offenders (# of offenses) x (fine amount). That would start to change the minds of these companies that are habitual offenders.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #35  
When I bought my BX a couple years ago, I also bought a 12' dump trailer to haul her in. I too found crappy welds, and poor design. But my MAJOR issue was the lack of primer used before the finish was applied. Now I am looking at sandblasting the whole thing, and properly applying the paint or protective coatings, which may include Rhino coat on the underside and frame. Speaking of proper finishing, I also have to call the dealer about my new Kubota snowblower. Doesn't seem to be any primer there either! Grrrr!

You might be able to get it hot-galvanized.. a local company here does that to trailers, they charge by the pound of applied material. i.e. they weigh the trailer before it goes into the dip, and again when it comes out and charge for the difference. It does have to be really clean though, sandblasting would do that.

Sean

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #36  
From the pics you posted of the original build, they shouldn't just be fined, they should be shut down.. that's criminal knowingly putting something like that on public roads.

Sean

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #37  
Pappa,

Just remember when you fill out those accident reports involving one of those trailers............Maybe contact Better Business Bureau or even state insurance industry....

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #38  
What is the GVWR of that trailer? That tubing on the frame looks really small. You put a 32 hp tractor on that?!

What is the GVWR of that trailer? That tubing on the frame looks really small. You put a 32 hp tractor on that?!

I have not personally put it on the scales, but I was told (by the manufacturer) it was around 1600lbs. The trailer is a 7000lb trailer, so I'm right below max with the L3200 weighing in at around 5000 to 5100 (with backhoe and fel), Now I'm no expert, but I have been informed by everyone that I know (that know trailers) it is now more than capable of supporting the tractor I have on it safely. :smurf:

UPDATE: For those of you that have been following this thread, I have some interesting news after a long day of investigation. I have contacted and met with a Judge and spoke with the Alabama Dept. of Public Safety (state troopers headquarters) . The brass at the dept. of public safety looked over the Alabama rules regarding the 3000# limit on trailers. This section of Alabama Law covers brakes and towing limits in this state. To my suprise, The troopers informed me (and remember I'm in the same line of work) that they dont have a code to write for violations on the Alabama rules I'm referring to. They basically said the "rules" are nothing more than the state of Alabama "agreeing" with Federal DOT laws, and unless you run into a federal inspector, they dont govern or enforce this law. I then spoke with a Judge who basically agreed. My next stop was speaking with our congressman at Federal court to see who enforces these laws, and why local police or state police have no code to write a citation under in this state. The congressman's office put me on a direct line with Washington DC and I spoke with the Federal representitive of the Dot. He has received my questions in writing and is currently investigating who and how these laws are intended to be enforced. When I hear back from him I will be posting the findings. As it stands right now, NO ONE keeps track of utility trailer laws unless it is in a commercial use capacity, and even then if the weight is under 26,000 pounds, not much attention is given. As a Police Officer, this is very sad and frustrating to say the least! I now know why dealers and manufacturers gamble with these practices. That being said....we DO have codes in the law to write tickets for no tag, improper or no lights, brake lights, and unsafe loads for utility trailers. No Codes exist in this state for chains, brakes, couplers, placards, or break away switches not to mention breaking tow capacities on utility trailers that we all know are abused daily! I'm finding out the sad truth to why trailers have little attention in almost all 50 states. My research has also enlightened me to how dangerous and how many people lose their lives because of irresponsible trailer useage! SMH! I will keep you posted on the results of my tiring investigation into this matter. One last note: my dealer informed me today that they have their attorney looking into what they are responsible for where these trailers are concerned, and allegedly they have been told by their attorney that they ARE NOT responsible for how the buyer tows the tractor even if they sell the trailer as a package deal. I Know I know.....seems the attorney hasnt thought that comment through because I fully disagree with that....if he even really said that to them. I can see where this is headed!:smurf: