How does a EFL work for grading and yard work???

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #21  
Be very carefull. I just replaced a hydraulic cylinder on my loader. Snapped a piston rod in two doing a little dirt work.

Bake

Sorry to hear that Bake...What happened?

Don

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #22  
This information was a lot of help. Like cmb1998, we're in the process of landscaping our yard since it's the summer so we want our place to sport a new look.

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #23  
For efficient dirt movement and digging, I used my FEL to move the loose stuff after I used the scarifiers on the box blade to loosen it up. My soil has a lot of rocks and is hard clay so the FEL doesnt do well by itself. I levelled this hill in one day taking about 2 feet off the top and moving the dirt down the hill to flatten the area to build my shop. I would scarify / drag it with BB, carry it with the FEL and back drag to keep it level. Brother in law used his little JD 750 with a back blade to continuously circle and pack down the fresh dirt. The shop is 52 X 30 and I went about 70 feet to the front to control the slope

Attachments

• PDRM1771.JPG
    PDRM1771.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 122
  • PDRM1779.JPG
    PDRM1779.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 127
   / How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #24  
Yes, I wonder what the risks are to a FEL in trying to dig in hard soil. We have very heavy clay here and I have to really work at it to dig with the FEL or even a demo skid steer (smooth buckets on both).

Personally, I've settled on doing the digging with the mini-excavator and either moving with the excavator blade or with the loader bucket. In the current project, I'm digging out a hillside about 7' high.

As I mentioned in another post, the clay is so hard that even a 20,000# bulldozer blade is gliding over it rather than digging :eek:

That's why we don't have earthquakes here, they can't penetrate this soil (just kidding, we do carry earthquake insurance).

Ken

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #25  
Sorry to hear that Bake...What happened?

Don

Well according to some it was operator error, I'm glad they weren't handling the warrenty repair. I was digging into a pile of dirt and believe one corner of the loader caught on the ground and twiked the bucket and then pow. Now this is a 95 hp machine, so it has a lot of tractor behind the loader. I'm really surprised it didn't just bend the arm. With my damage policy my cost was $250.

Bake

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #26  
Well according to some it was operator error, I'm glad they weren't handling the warrenty repair. I was digging into a pile of dirt and believe one corner of the loader caught on the ground and twiked the bucket and then pow. Now this is a 95 hp machine, so it has a lot of tractor behind the loader. I'm really surprised it didn't just bend the arm. With my damage policy my cost was $250.

Bake

Another way to wreck a loader cylinder is to dump the bucket all the way forwards and then try to use it as a dozer.
Tempting, since the bucket bottom has a down slope to it, but the cylinders are extended just about all the way and are vulnerable.
{So I have been told, but I've never trashed a loader doing this}

OPTION B:
Go into the pile too fast, if an edge catches the inertia of the tractor, being 1/2 m v squared, can do all kinds of damage.
{I havn't done that one either}

Last edited:
   / How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #27  

Bake

For some reason, even on your best day, unfortunately Murphy is alive and well...Thanks for the follow up and hoping this never happens again.

Don

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #28  
Fel works great for yardwork. Float is your friend. :D

/ How does a EFL work for grading and yard work??? #29  
Another way to wreck a loader cylinder is to dump the bucket all the way forwards and then try to use it as a dozer.
Tempting, since the bucket bottom has a down slope to it, but the cylinders are extended just about all the way and are vulnerable.
{So I have been told, but I've never trashed a loader doing this}

OPTION B:
Go into the pile too fast, if an edge catches the inertia of the tractor, being 1/2 m v squared, can do all kinds of damage.
{I havn't done that one either}

Kinetic Energy is 1/2 M*v^2