Snowblower How does your snowblower work in slush?

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #1  

MarcusCarr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
Short version...

How does your tractor mount snowblower work in slush or heavily saturated snow? Does the shoot clog? Does it throw very far?

Long version...

I recently purchased a Erskine 720 FM (front mount) snowblower and adapted it to fit my tractor. The auger and impeller are both working great, but snow if clogging the chute and preventing it from working properly. Once the chute is clear, I can take tiny bites and it will work for a few minutes before the chute clogs again.

The snow type is slush and extremly saturated snow. We have had 70" in the last few months and it has rained for two days. If you pick up the snow it is really wet and packs into ice balls.

What has your experience been? Is this normal? Will it likely work better with "normal" snow? Please tell me I didn't just waste $2000 =]

Thanks,
Marcus

Attachments

• blower.JPG
    blower.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 540
   / How does your snowblower work in slush? #2  
The worst I have gone through was 12" of snow that had just over 1" of rain fall on it immediately after and the only problem was that it would only throw the snow about 5-8ft instead of the normal 15-20ft into the woods. This is also a rear mount PTO driven blower which may be a little more powerful then a front mount and may not depending on the tractor.

My thought on this is the short chute you have, there have been plenty of debate on this and it is as bad as a "Which truck is the best" thread. Personally I feel a short chute acts as a wall when the snow is coming off the impeller and clogs quickly where-as a longer chute is more like a slide that allows the snow to not slow down as quickly and get thrown easier.

Try some non-stick spray on the chute and impeller too!

My setup:

Click thumbnails for larger images

/ How does your snowblower work in slush?
Part of the chute was lost in the darkness of the background in the picture. The chute on this one is very silimar to the one on your snowblower.

Great idea with the no stick spray...I will try that tonight. There is a little surface rust in the chute that is probably creating a place for the snow to stick.

In the spring, I will get in there with a wire wheel and a new coat of paint.

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #4  
First off....... the snowblower you bought is not a waste of money. In fact, you will soon be saying its the best money you've ever spent.

You are on the right track so far. It doesn't take much rust to create friction in the chute. Sand it down...... or you may even just wait it will get smoothed out from the dirt in your snow if its just light rust. A non stick like pam or wax can help too..... but usually it doesn't last too long.Some blowers have devices in the bottom (front?) of the chute to keep you from being able to stick your hand inside the chute. These usually collect slushy snow like a magnet. You may want to remove this if you have one..... at least temporarily. The more your chute is angled down, to deposit snow close to you, the harder it is for the blower to keep the chute clear. If possible, leave the chute deflactor "wide open". After each blowing season at a minimum, you will want to clean and paint the inside of your blower and chute to keep serious rust from forming. I'm quite sure when you get good snow (instead of slush) you'll be diggin' that new front blower of yours !:)

/ How does your snowblower work in slush?
Thank you for the input. I feel much better about the purchase.

Marcus

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #6  
Short version...

How does your tractor mount snowblower work in slush or heavily saturated snow? Does the shoot clog? Does it throw very far?

Long version...

I recently purchased a Erskine 720 FM (front mount) snowblower and adapted it to fit my tractor. The auger and impeller are both working great, but snow if clogging the chute and preventing it from working properly. Once the chute is clear, I can take tiny bites and it will work for a few minutes before the chute clogs again.

The snow type is slush and extremly saturated snow. We have had 70" in the last few months and it has rained for two days. If you pick up the snow it is really wet and packs into ice balls.

What has your experience been? Is this normal? Will it likely work better with "normal" snow? Please tell me I didn't just waste $2000 =]

Thanks,
Marcus
I have only used my MTD walk behind in slush. It throws snow, wet or dry, like crazy -- 30-40'. You wouldnt want to get hit by a wet slushy snow throw as it might knock your head off. Itll sure rattle board fence! Im guessing it might be low impeller speed or chute design in your case. Try cleaning and putting non stick [like wax] on your chute and impeller. Maybe change gearing to increase speed. The MTD uses 4HP per foot of width and will go thru 1' snow at normal walking speed.
larry

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #7  
Marcus,

Keeping your PTO rpms up will help avoid chute clogging.

Keeping your chute deflector fully open (up) will also help.

You could also try lining the chute with slippery high density polyethylene tape.

Resist any temptation to clear the chute with the PTO engaged or with your hands.

Stay warm.

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #8  
The past few years I have used an Industrial grade pure silicone spray on my chute and it seems to work fine for me.

It is manufactured by KEL (Kellogg's Professional Products, Inc. in Sandusky, OH. This particular spray will not freeze down to -70 degrees F. and comes in an 11 oz spray can.

Wayne

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #9  
Short version...

Long version...

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus, I have a Erskine 600FM on my tractor. I have found it necessary to make sure the plastic liner in the shute is smooth. If rocks or other items have scorred (I can't spell) it, it will be susceptible to clogging. Someone mentioned keeping the rpms up, let me also add to that, you may have to slow your ground speed - creep along in the heavy wet stuff. You'll find that with "lighter" slow, the snow blower will move it without hesitation and you'll be able to use a faster ground speed. I have put alot of snow through my Erskine 600MF over the past 13 years and not once did I think it was a waste of money.

If you got yours for $2000.00, you stole it. That's a great price for the Erskine machine. Have fun with it. You won't be sorry you bought it. Roger

/ How does your snowblower work in slush? #10  
I would also try a product called fluid film.I coat my snow plow with it a couple times during the winter.coobie