How exactly does an hour meter work ?

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #1  

Madman_Mark

If a tractor is just sitting at idle for a few hours a day does it still clock each hour exactly or does it have to reach a certain RPM before it starts clocking the time ?
Thats what mine seems like (Fiat 55-46 4WD).

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #2  
Welcome to the forum, Mark.

There are two different types of hour meters in use on CUTs. One type does record hours at PTO rated RPMs, so lower RPMs don't register hours as fast. The other type is simply an electric clock, that is on whenever the ignition is turned on. With this type, you can run up hours on your tractor just by leaving the key on, even if the engine isn't running /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

I'm not familiar with the Fiat. If you have an owner's manual, it may tell you which type you have. Otherwise, leaving the key turned on intentially for an hour or so, with the engine not running, will let you know if it is the electric type.

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ?
So does that mean that some types only record hours when the PTO is engaged ?
That wouldn't make much sense, especially if a tractor was mostly used for FEL work.

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #4  
Your tractor needs to run at a certain engine RPM to make the HP required to properly run the PTO. My take is if your engine needs to run at 2600 RPMs then when the throttle is set at that rate your hour meter would be running at the actual hour rate.

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ?
That sounds about right. Thanks.

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #6  
I agree with the electronic hour meter that counts real hours when ever the key is on. As far as the mechanical hour meter, many times called a Proof Meter, they are typically calibrated at a speed other than PTO speed. On my Ford 2120, that speed according to the manual is 1867 rpm. Ford assumes that 1867 is the average speed that the engine will be operated at. Rated PTO speed for this engine is 2307 rpm.

Hopefully this may clarify things a little.

Andy

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #7  
another one of the things that we discussed today at our TBN lunch meeting.... see these meeting seem to be a primer for questions to come at a later time in the day....

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #8  
Normally it is by time or by PTO rpm. As always there are a few exceptions

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There are two different types of hour meters in use on CUTs. )</font>

Actually, I think there's a third type of hour meter that is used on a CUT. It's called a wristwatch! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hey! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just realized that I have my first attachment for my tractor that I haven't even bought yet! WOOHOO!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ How exactly does an hour meter work ? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually, I think there's a third type of hour meter that is used on a CUT. It's called a wristwatch! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
)</font>

Real tractor men use pocket watches...... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif