How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders?

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
My 23rd Birthday is coming up on March 8th. My dad wants to buy me a new and better welder for my birthday since my little campbell hausfeld 110 volt welder is about to go out on me. The little thing's transformer and wires are about burnt up. I've had it for around 6 years.

Anyway me and my dad were looking at this Lincoln electric welder at home depot and were pretty sure we want to get this one.

Lincoln Electric AC225S Welder - K1170 at The Home Depot

It's in his price range so I was wondering if you have or had one or even used one what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

Chad

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #2  
I think those are good little welders .. should do anything you want it to do.

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #3  
They are good machines, but you will find that a DC capable welder is better in the long run.

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #4  
My 23rd Birthday is coming up on March 8th. My dad wants to buy me a new and better welder for my birthday since my little campbell hausfeld 110 volt welder is about to go out on me. The little thing's transformer and wires are about burnt up. I've had it for around 6 years.

Anyway me and my dad were looking at this Lincoln electric welder at home depot and were pretty sure we want to get this one.

It's in his price range so I was wondering if you have or had one or even used one what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

Chad

I have one of those I bought in 1973 for $80 new and it is still doing fine. Ken Sweet

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #5  
That was my first welder. I got it in 1992 and it was my primary machine up until a few months ago when I got a DC machine. They are good welders. I probably burned over a thousand pounds of rods with it and built tons of things with it. You can't go wrong with it but as said above a ac dc machine would be better. Once you weld with dc you won't want to weld with ac. I have a gas powered miller trailblazer but I also bought a used miller Acdc thunderbolt for 300 that is in my shop

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #6  
My 23rd Birthday is coming up on March 8th. My dad wants to buy me a new and better welder for my birthday since my little campbell hausfeld 110 volt welder is about to go out on me.

Me and my dad were looking at this Lincoln electric welder at home depot and were pretty sure we want to get this one.

Thanks
Chad
Maybe you can split the $difference with him and get the AC/DC version .. ?
larry

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #7  
AC should be fine for a first machine to learn on, and should serve well for a long time.

Do be careful with either (AC--AC/DC) to make sure you have a big enough primary service circuit to use it with.

Good luck

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #8  
Chad I just can't ever imagine me buying and AC only machine. Only time I ever us AC is to Tig weld aluminum. If you have sales tax in your area you'll be right up there with the cost of an Everlast PowerArc 200, and they offer a 5-year warranty!
Another thing to think about with a DC machine is for around $100.00 more, (not counting bottle) you could have a Tig welder too.
Here are a few pictures of a pipe I Tig welded with my PowerArc 200.

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #9  
I have a lincoln ac 225 i bought new in 88 .Id like to have a buck for every rod ive burned in it id have a couple thousand.Icomplimented it a couple years ago with a mig.If i get something i really need super strong ,like say the anvilon a splitter ,ill still use the lincoln.I use my welders alotin my shop ,but i have no desire for another ,they serve me well.
ALAN

/ How good are the lincoln electric Arc Welders? #10  
I have a lincoln ac 225 i bought new in 88 .Id like to have a buck for every rod ive burned in it id have a couple thousand.Icomplimented it a couple years ago with a mig.If i get something i really need super strong ,like say the anvilon a splitter ,ill still use the lincoln.I use my welders alotin my shop ,but i have no desire for another ,they serve me well.
ALAN

As I recall the older ones had a copper wire coil and the newer ones had a aluminum wire coil. The older copper units will take a lot more abuse. Ken Sweet