Snow Attachments How good isFEL for snow removal?

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #21  
You're going to here this a lot.... if you don't yet have an FEL or blower, get the FEL first. You won't be sorry. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #22  
Moss beat me to it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The FEL would certainly be my first purchase. It's a 12 month tool.

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #23  
Nope ... Six Sigma is a blight everywhere /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif, I'm at Dow.
And trying VERY hard not to believe this is the newest flavor-of-the-month ... since I was heavily involved in CIP (Continuous Improvent - Deming); SMED - Single Minute Exchange of Die - Shingo; QP - Quality Performance; and many many more. Gets pretty hard NOT to be somewhat blase.
I'm just glad that I'm too busy to be a full time black belt like many of my compatriots .. althouhg there have been some rumblings about my DFSS project being preparatory to being assigned as a Master Black Belt.
Circles go round and round and ....

As I said ... IF we ever had enough snow to matter ... I would rig up a front snowblower. I had a front plow on my old IH450 in Alberta ... and it was worse than useless. So I went back to the bucket, where at least I wouldn't get stuck trying to move the mountain once the snow was that deep in front when pushing. In the (almost) 4 years we've been here, I've never had over a foot of fluffy snow to clean up .... so going for a better snow solution would take more resources than the value it would provide. Besides ... if I need to blow the snow ... I have a 10HP 2-stage ... and I like exercise .... so /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #24  
Wingnut -- You mentioned one of the concerns that keeps me from putting a front blade on my L3010. Some winters (like this one) the snow gets so deep that the only way to move it is to "roll" the drifts by lifting and curling the bucket. This is especially true at the end of our driveways and where the town plow leaves it all piled up at the sides of the road.

Pete

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #25  
<font color=blue>But I'm sure his 60+HP TN is a whole different animal than our little "toy" tractors.</font color=blue>

My 48HP JD4710 with 460 FEL and HD bucket also did a fine job of just pushing the snow. I have a fairly straight driveway of 250 feet or so and I just push the snow until I get it down to the town road....then back up and start all over again. It takes about ten swipes but the drive looks very good just like if a plow came through and cleaned it.

....Bob

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #26  
With the experience I had with the IH in moving snow, when I bought the L3710, I had the rear tires filled ... and I also keep the heavy tiller on the rear ... just so I have enough weight to have some traction. So far, it's worked ... haven't needed chains ... but then I've never had the snaow here that I got in Alberta ....
Using the bucket to "eat" the drifts works fine ... it's just slow.

/ How good isFEL for snow removal?
First time responder over 1 year reader and learner. First, you guys are great, Information is fantastic. I've had my JD790 for about a year and have learned alot. Thanks.

I have a Front Blower 60", doing a 1200 foot gravel drive in S. NH. I could not see doing it any other way. It sure can throw snow. Fast and no PILES.....
A shear pin now and than...
I also have a BB for the light snow and dustings.
IMO Blower would be the only way on big jobs.

Again, Thanks for the information, I read every day @ lunch and learn ALOT.

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #28  
I am using the FEL on my 300 ft circular drive and it works , slow the first time then you get better but if tghe drive was straight it would be muh better. I just float the blade until I get off the drive then dump, whatever pushes pushes and whjatever spills out the sides gets pushed in the next pass. I also used my box blade to puse the piles at the street from the plow back and that worked fine. I am negotiating with the local dealer for a 6 ft rear blade. Right now he is at $240 delivered. I hope to get him at $200 so the wife will let me get it. I sold my JD walk behind snowblower after getting the tractor, but could not justify that cost here in NJ because we do not get that many snow storms. ( I may have just jinxed myself )

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #29  
Ahhhhh....Six Siqma (et al)....Such 'fond' memories..../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif it's been a bit over two years since I had to deal with that at Ford....

/ How good isFEL for snow removal? #30  
WingNut - Six Sigma Black Belt training, are you a fellow GE employee?

It's everywhere, Dow, Ford,GE, Motorolla, RR Donnelley, Englehard...

( Greenbelt certified 1999, Supply, working on my third project )

I prefer the FEL but then I've never used the blower! With the FEL in deep snow I can raise the bucket just a few inches off of the road/ driveway and then get the balance of the snow with my rear blade. Works for me !