How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator?

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #51  
I've been a member of this forum for a long time and appreciate the advice offered hear. I'm the proud owner of two Steiner 240's. I have two properties and they serve me very well for mowing, dirt moving and snow blowing. Last summer the machine in the picture moved 1000 yards of fill and gravel and it was maybe the best summer of my life!!! I personally think that the flexibility, power and durability make Steiner/Ventracs a very good long-term value for a mechanically inclined homeowner like me.

My place in Maine has tree stumps that are out of range for a 22 HP machine. I can push 24" and smaller stumps around once they are loose, but I can't get them dislodged.

I'm considering renting a mini-excavator to dig about 10 stumps in the 12 to 24" range. My question is, how steep is the learning curve for a mini-excavator for someone who has lots of hydraulic tractor experience? Can I reasonably expect to dig 10 stumps in a day starting with no mini-excavator experience?
I've been a member of this forum for a long time and appreciate the advice offered hear. I'm the proud owner of two Steiner 240's. I have two properties and they serve me very well for mowing, dirt moving and snow blowing. Last summer the machine in the picture moved 1000 yards of fill and gravel and it was maybe the best summer of my life!!! I personally think that the flexibility, power and durability make Steiner/Ventracs a very good long-term value for a mechanically inclined homeowner like me.

My place in Maine has tree stumps that are out of range for a 22 HP machine. I can push 24" and smaller stumps around once they are loose, but I can't get them dislodged.

I'm considering renting a mini-excavator to dig about 10 stumps in the 12 to 24" range. My question is, how steep is the learning curve for a mini-excavator for someone who has lots of hydraulic tractor experience? Can I reasonably expect to dig 10 stumps in a day starting with no mini-excavator experience?
I haven’t run one but I had a man do some work for me who had run one many times. He was working on a slight slope and nearly tipped over. So all I say is be careful and stay within your boundary of caution.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #52  
I'm not so sure I would want to use a mini for this job. I used a 10T (maybe a bit overkill, but it was available from neighbor JD 75G) to remove about a dozen trees (Oak, Pine, Pear, Cedar, etc), dug a new septic & drain field and dig dirt to level a new 50 x 100 slab. Trees took about 4 hours. Septic about 1.5 hrs Dirt about 10 hours because of limestone shelf I encountered. Used a med dozer to level. BTW, it's much easier to pull the stumps if the trees are still attached!

That track hoe made pulling the hard & soft wood trees really easy. I think a mini would take all day just trying to dug out the roots if your trees have nearly the root ball mine had.
Overkill? I thought 27 tons was too small
27ton.jpg

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #53  

I own a Bobcat E42 cab mini-ex, it weighs about 10,000 pounds ready to work. Bought it new in 2019 for our ranch and never previously operated an excavator. I have over 800 hours operating a small Kubota (30 hp) and my Deere 4720 (66 hp) so lots of tractor seat time.

As far as the learning curve I think that depends on the person, some might be semi-productive after four hours in the seat but it took me 20 hours of seat time. When I say "productive" that means you have acquired muscle memory to where you don't have to think and review in your mind every operation of the boom/stick/swing/curl, etc, etc. Now I instinctively move the joysticks to do the work.

Even though I have 150 hours on my E42, if I haven't operated it in a few weeks it always takes me several minutes to get comfortable with the joysticks.

So about the stumps. How long to dig out depends on the tree and root system. Even the smaller diameter stumps can take 45 minutes plus to dig out. I spent probably an hour digging our a dead shin oak stump, I thought I was going to pop it out in a few minutes but no sir. I had to dig up the entire root system. Bear in mind my E42 is a pretty powerful mini-ex for its size, I can dead lift over two tons and breakout force is significant.

If the stump has been dead for a few years, it might pop right out (or not LOL.) I was digging out several oak stumps three years ago to make room for our new garage and one of the stumps was a double trunk oak that we cut off about three feet above ground. I spent about six hours digging and pulling, my contractor buddy spent half a day doing the same. We finally had a stump grinder service come out and grind the roots, fortunately his machine telescoped out so he could reach all around the stump.

When we finally popped out the stump, it was massive like an iceberg. I had to pull the stump in with the bucket and pull it up on the blade and rest it there. It was too heavy to lift and move just by picking it up.

My E42 (the "hoe") doesn't get used a whole lot but when I need it, it pays for itself. One job for it occasionally is burying dead animals (we raise blackbuck antelope), I can dig a hole deep enough to keep other critters from digging up the carcass in about ten minutes. It usually takes longer to get to the burial site than it does to dig the hole. Then I use the hoe to grab the carcass and drop it in the hole.

Hope this helps someone thinking about renting a mini-ex.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #54  
As for learning to run a mini-excavator, I would not be surprised if you learned quickly. As long as you are out in the open and not trying to do something like digging a French drain up next to a house, just go for it. It's a ton of fun running an excavator. It can be very satisfying work.

As stated by many already, the type of soil, the type of tree, the health of the tree, etc. are all significant variables. Some trees have massive tap roots, others don't. I have a Yanmar Vio55 (12k lbs) and also a Cat 312E (33k lbs). Just a couple of days ago, I dug out 12 smallish oaks, 6" to 12" in diameter in less than an hour with the 312E. The trees were full height. I made a good scoop on one side (more if needed) and then pushed towards the hole, then grabbed the tree with the thumb, and out they came. The soil was loamy and moist - optimal conditions. When the Cat was busy, I used the Yanmar for a couple of trees, which took 15-20 minutes per tree on average.

I think something like the E42 mentioned above or even a 50-55 class (like my Vio55) would serve you well and they don't need a lowboy to haul.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #55  
For stumps, I would get a 20-40 ton machine rental as long as you dont have really tight quarters. Getting started with using it is pretty easy. Getting good at it takes hundreds of hours...so dont expect to look like the youtube pros for your rental!

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #56  
Prior to this excavator this summer, I'd never run one. It took me just an hour to operate this Kubota KX080. I pulled 15 roots in 8 hours.

View attachment 848050
I would think a 080 to be well into the 'midi' category. Moving one this size is not in the realm of your standard 2 axel 8k trailer? You would have to check and see what delivery and pickup costs? I ran a Kubota 035 recently and there is a little learning curve. I didn't do anything but play, though.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #57  
And I would not put a 5 year old kid in a machine of this type of capability without being in there with him. Not a good idea. Only takes one wrong move for him or someone else to get hurt, or massive property damage to occur. Kids freeze up when something goes wrong. Can drive right over someone or a car or a house that way, or roll down a hill, etc. If, as the owner of that machine, I saw that someone I rented it to did that, they'd never rent one of my machines again.
I would never ever allow a child or pet to ride on any sort of machinery, whether it be an excavator or a tractor. Yeah, I know many/most of us did when we were kids and made it OK, but all it takes is just that one time and I'd just as soon it not be on my watch. They're just too squirmy/fidgety and unpredictable and it only takes a couple seconds for irreparable harm to be done.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #58  

I rented one about 4 times. The first time the guy showed me how it worked. After about 15 minutes of playing with it I was good enough to do the work I wanted. If you can operate a tractor thew Mini X will be no problem.

You can do a LOT of work in a short time with them.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #59  
Don't do what I did. My neighbor (in Damascus MD so some of you will guess who I'm talking about) saw me moving big stumps that had already been pushed out with a JD 655 loader. I have a JD 2038r so he came over and told me to use the mini x behind his house. He's a big ag farmer and has a LOT of extremely large equipment. It was close to his house so I asked him to move it away. He said he didn't know how to run it. I said how long have you owned it, he said 19 years. I said you've owned it that long and have no idea how to use it?! He said they don't let me run the equipment, all I know is there's a lever on the left side of the seat that makes everything work. He said "just get in it and you'll figure it out".

So I figured out how to move it without hitting his house and went next door to my 15 acres. I know this thread is about "figuring it out" but I had to use it really slowly because nothing made sense to me as far as the controls went. Long story short, I used that thing for 8 hours going up and down hills. Progress was extremely slow. Guess why...I was using it spun around in reverse!!!! When I pulled on the levers, the mini x would go forward, and all the turning was counter intuitive. The next day I accidentally figured it out, and did the same amount of work in two hours. Moral...make sure your spun in the right direction!

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #60  
You tube it. The only way to learn is just do it. Don’t have great expectations for a mini-ex to do any heavy duty stump pulling. Get the biggest excavator you can.