How hard is it to rebuild a disc harrow

/ How hard is it to rebuild a disc harrow #1  

stevenf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000
I'm looking at buying a 3pt disc harrow and heavy duty new ones to use with a 90hp tractor are over $1,000 so I'm considering buying a used one in that the disc at least are in good shape on and then if the bearings go out just replace them with sealed ones if possible. I found a pretty nice 8' bush hog used that I think I can pick up for around 3 or 4 hundred but the bearing aren't sealed so I'm wondering how hard it is to get one of these things apart to replace the bearings are they so frozen to the shafts after years of use that I'd need a torch to get them off or would some penetrating oil, emery cloth and patience do it.
Steve

/ How hard is it to rebuild a disc harrow #2  
SIR,
i suggest you very carefully check the used one before
you buy. check the gears, and make sure there are no
missing teeth. you can do this by slowly rotating the
pto shaft, and you should be able to feel if there are any
teeth missing. if there are, i would pass on buying it.
bearings can be replaced, but gears are very costly.
accordionman
wlbrown

/ How hard is it to rebuild a disc harrow #3  
T.S.C has the King Kutter brand 6.5 ft. disc for 519.00 . A local farm store matched this price plus a 20% discount coupon at the counter makes it 455.00 out the door. This is the lighter one with angle iron frame insted of the heavery one with the square tubing frame. I got the new one hopeing if I keep it tended to I will last a long time behind my 4200 in our sandy ground. From the price of replacement parts I have seen unless its a well maintained used one Im thinking a new one would be better . I cant find any gears on mine /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How hard is it to rebuild a disc harrow #4  
<font color="blue"> check the gears, and make sure there are no
missing teeth. </font>

Wlbrown,
If I understand him correctly, he is looking a an 8' disc harrow made by Bush Hog. Not a rotary cutter. Won't have gears to worry about.

TK

/ How hard is it to rebuild a disc harrow #5  
It's not so bad, I've got a Case brand pull type apart now. We took it apart to paint everything and change all the grease fittings. The discs, spacers and washers are all held on with one big nut on a common axle.

One just takes off the nut and start sliding off bits till ya get to the bearing mount and then ya pull the axle back through it. Then keep sliding stuff off again. Try to keep it all in order so it goes back together the same.

Eventually, you end up with an angle iron frame, and a pile of bits and pieces. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Buy some smelly penetrating oil before you start. PB Blaster or Rust Reaper works good.