How heavy is too heavy for a box blade?

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #11  
I agree with the others, Buy a used one, I am in need of one myself. I am one of those that always buy new, but not on this occation. a box blade will last for ever, new or used. just don't buy something abused. I have been searching the auction site here on the web, and have several to attend, till I get one. You should search in your area for the same thing. If you find one in good shape ( which you will ) all you have to do is clean it and paint it if you like. And the auction sites I am refering to are the live auctions, like a farm shutting dow or an estate auction or a construction auction, In fact you may even find something else you may need. hope this helps
All the best david

Last edited:
   / How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #12  
My tractor is 57 hp, 48 hp PTO. I started off looking for a cheap used box blade. After reading everything I could find on this site (heavier is better, heavier is better; it's a pain to get up and down from the tractor to change the scarifiers), I was leaning towards a 7' rollover blade, but couldn't find a used one around here (SW Missouri).

I finally found a NOS one in Arkansas, but they wanted $1500 for it. After more research (rollover blades have been supplanted by hydraulic blades) and an exhaustive search, I lucked into finding a NOS hydraulic commercial blade weighing 1100 pounds for about the same price. 'Haven't used it yet (another story), but it's a dandy and I think it will last me (and my son) a lifetime. My .02.

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade?
Howdy, folks, thanks for the advice so far.

I'd love to buy a good used one. The money I save over new can be well spent on another implement. :) I just haven't had any luck finding one on CL for NH, VT, or MA in several months of looking--though I'm sure I could have missed seeing a good deal. I haven't tried auctions; I guess I'll start looking. I reckon I can start calling all the dealers I can find in the area and asking, but I don't see much in the way of used implements.

@teg: "What kind of soil are you working with?"
Awful, granite-infested, root-laden NH soil. My intent is to do some digging with it, not just spread gravel.

@hizoot: WRT confusing the specs, I am often confused. However, I just checked the specs again online and this is what I see.
The Land Pride spec sheet for box scrapers http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/specs/303-082s.pdf says
BB1572, Maximum H.P. Rating = 25
BB2572, Maximum H.P. Rating = 40

The Bush Hog spec sheet http://www.bushhog.com/images/stories/documents/manuals/SBX48-84.pdf says for the 6-footer
Maximum HP (2WD) 50 PTO
Maximum HP (4WD) 35 PTO
Now, what PTO HP rather than net HP has to do with it, I don't know, I'm just reading the spec.

Have a look at those specs and see what you think.

thanks, bws

Last edited:
   / How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #14  
bubbas45,

I have an L3130 with filled R1's. I have 2 boxblades, one with a hinged backblade and one fixed. The one I use the most is a KingKutter 6'. I don't know the weight but it works great. The 3130 will pull a full box of gravel or dirt with out much of a problem. The 500-600lb should be ok, if you go much heaver you may have a problem pulling a full box. I have never used R4's but know they do not get the same traction as R1's. As far as cutting the cutting blade and shanks will do that and you can always add weight if needed.

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #15  
Ever consider a box blade where YOU can adjust the weight of the unit... Weight is one consideration, but most want to make sure it covers span of tractor plus 6-12". Look for quality construction in area of blade, method of tongue attachment (all the way through to the back shell), reinforced sides, easy transport, adjustable tilt is really nice...

The only complaint I've ever heard from some that has used our box scraper is that the neighbor won't bring it back. I actually had a guy quote a unit for his neighbor at the fair so he'd get the hint.

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #16  
Now, what PTO HP rather than net HP has to do with it, I don't know, I'm just reading the spec.

thanks, bws

PTO hp has long been the standard for measuring farm tractors. When someone says a "40hp tractor" I immediately think, 40 PTO hp utility tractor, as would most any farmer. Nowadays as compact tractors are getting so popular, they have started rating them based on net hp, which is really kind of meaningless when comparing tractors. They all have different power losses based on transmission type etc, so it is not standard like PTO hp, or draw bar hp. They are doing it as a marketing thing since people like to see the bigger numbers. A little off topic but anyways....

If you are looking at used, look for older Woods, Gannon and Gill brand box blades if you want a commercial duty unit. The old ones weren't built quite as heavy as the new commercial grade boxes, but still a lot better than any consumer grade box blades you find today.

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #17  
I have a Gill roll-over box blade. They are great. Super heavy duty. It probably weighs about 800-900#. You can't hurt the things. I've even had it behind a 100 hp tractor. Looks funny, but it works. I tried to find them, and it seems that they are now the Woods R20 and R30. (6 & 7 foot) I could not find a good link with pics.

Looks a lot like this Bush-Hog Brand: Roll Over Box Blades RO-600

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #18  
I think you'll find the limiting factor will be the tractor if you go much more than a 6' and/or 600 pound box blade. I have an 87" 'no-name' I bought at an auction about 25 years ago. It probably weighs in around 1200 pounds or so. I use it behind a 100 hp 4X4 tractor and use it as a battering ram. So far I've snapped off 3 scarifiers hitting roots and rocks busting up some soil but haven't managed to bend up the box blade. However, when I get a heaping full, running over the blade full, load of heavy clay soil it's a pretty hard pull with a 100hp tractor with loaded R1's on it.

/ How heavy is too heavy for a box blade? #19  
How much soil did you have to move for that and how long did it take?

I may have imbelished a little bit when I said I build a pad for the shed. I had a 34x96 blow down in a wind storm and decided I wanted a wider building so went to 40 feet wide by 88 feet long. I don't remember how many yards of fill I moved but I would say 6 loads from a triple axle dump truck. I worked on it a couple of Saturday's for a few hours each time. Maybe 6-8 hours total(?) Sure was fun :thumbsup: