How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ?

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #11  
I remember 10 years. Worked on morr than 1 car that needed an un-obtainable part. Specifics I remember are electric connectors and a camshaft. I try to buy cars and equipment that are super popular to avoid this problem.
It sure is a shame when the situation mentioned by the OP occurs.

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #12  
Certain emission components are federally mandated (I think under the Clean Air Act) to have an 8 year/80K mile warranty period - so obviously for vehicle manufacturers to comply with that, availability of certain parts would be required to repair/replace ones that had failed:

Emissions Warranties for 1995 and Newer Cars and Trucks - EPA

Beyond that, there may be some requirements under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ... but I think a lot of it just simply goes back to the increase in the initial purchase cost of vehicles and manufacturers obtaining a competitive advantage by extending the coverage and duration of warranties.

Last edited:
   / How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ?
What little legislation I've found pertains to emission system performance. What is startling in that area is that the whole emission system is warrantied functional for only 24,000 miles. Many people drive more than that in the first year.

A factory cat is typically an expensive item. While it would be nice to get the part replaced under warranty, if I was stuck paying dealer rates for diagnosis at 25,000 miles I couldn't see myself purchasing a vehicle from that manufacturer again.

The work/time/$ involved in taking an older all-mechanical vehicle and only selectively adding technology as desired (ex. Megasquirt the engine) is starting to look better all the time.

Rgds, D.

I also have heard it was 7 years. But they can make it cost a lot..

All comes back to Who Pays ?

I know 2 people around my age who decided to not bother renewing their DL - both had clean driving records, but couldn't justify the cost of operating a car. Fewer young people bother to get a DL (Canada/USA, esp. urban areas), or just rent a car when they need one.

Pain, or No Pain. Once the pain level is high enough, some people will go another direction....

Rgds, D.

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #15  
Slow or no movement of a part is the main reason they get out of the manufacturers parts systems. It happens in tractors and machinery as well. We have seen many parts even by the big boys that are not available other then at a bone yard unless you dare try to make your own.

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #16  
I don't know about automobiles, but I do know that Harley Davidson has stated that they WILL NOT BE OBLIGATED to provide parts nor repair service for motorcycles over 10 years old. They do say that while they will not be obligated to provide such, parts and service MAY be available based on dealer stock and service availability.

How that applied to automobiles, tractors, etc., I don't know. Perhaps not at all.

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #17  
Other than some emmissions-related items, there are no laws (other than the laws of economics) that dictate how long replacement parts have to be made available.

Parts are available as long as there is money to be made from them.

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #18  
The answer is ten years. HS

/ How long do USA auto manufacturers HAVE TO keep parts available ? #19  
The answer is ten years. HS

I am not seening that: What I am seeing is simply a requirement for manufacturers to "pay for repairs" during the
warranty period. One might assume, then, that parts would need to be available for that period.

"...Contrary to a widely held belief, though, car makers do not have to keep making parts for 10 years after ending production of a car or a line of cars..."

Should You Buy a Car That's on Death Row? - WSJ

"...The claim is false (or at least misleading) in almost all respects. However, as is often the case, it springs from a kernel of truth. Albeit a truth which is altogether rather more mundane and unremarkable in character..."

united states - Are Auto Manufacturers required under US Federal Law to provide parts for a set period of time? - Skeptics Stack Exchange

I don't know about automobiles, but I do know that Harley Davidson has stated that they WILL NOT BE OBLIGATED to provide parts nor repair service for motorcycles over 10 years old. They do say that while they will not be obligated to provide such, parts and service MAY be available based on dealer stock and service availability.

How that applied to automobiles, tractors, etc., I don't know. Perhaps not at all.

What is common is that Wall Street and the CFO of every publicly traded company pretty much call this tune, regardless of what the product is.

What I do find ironic about your example is that HD spends a fair amount of time (pun intended) marketing the Heritage aspect of their products.

Talk is cheap, CFOs rule....

Rgds, D.