How long do warm HST in winter?

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #1  

ccsial

Veteran Member
Tractor
(Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1900 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new
I just recently bought an L3400 HST. The only other HST I have is a JD diesel lawn tractor. The L3400 manual suggests warming the engine from 10 to 30 minutes depending on temperature. The JD manual does not mention this. I usually warm the JD for 5 minutes if it is below 20. Just wondering what experience others have had with this.

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #2  
I own a L3130 HST which I usually let warm for about 10 minutes or so in the Winter. Of course, I am sure it gets a lot colder where you live. Here, it may reach 5-10 degrees on some of the colder day's. It rarely get's much colder.

Curt

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #3  
I live on the prairies in Canada. This'll be 1st winter with a BX2230. At 0 degress I will idle at least 5 minutes, at -20 or colder at least 15 minutes. Your manual should have some recomendations as well.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #4  
I think it depends partly on which hydro fluid you use. If you use Super UDT, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to warm up, even if it is below zero. I have never warmed my 2410 for longer than that.

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #5  
Why? It'll warm up quickly as soon as you start using it. I run mine very lightly for a few minutes before really pushing a lot of snow. If it sits and idles for 15 minutes I might have to go inside and watch TV where it is warm. Then I forget about it and it might idle until after lunch.

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #6  
You should never let it idle at minimum RPM for longer than it takes to make oil pressure. You should mediately increase the RPMs to 12-1500 to add enough fuel to allow the motor to warm. At minimum idle there is so little fuel going into the motor, it may never warm, in fact it may "super-cool" which is when the fuel condenses on the cylinder walls, washing the oil film off, ruining the motor.

Diesels need fuel to make heat. There isn't enough fuel being used at minimum RPM to do this when it is extremely cold outside (below 20° F or so).

The best bet is to start the tractor, let it "high" idle for only a few minutes to warm the motor's oil, then move it around easy exercising the hydraulics to warm their oil. By then the motor should be ready for full RPMs.

/ How long do warm HST in winter?
The book calls for 15 minutes at 0F degrees, 20-30 minutes at -20F. That seemed long to me. I'll be using super UDT and It sounds as if 5 minutes will do it down to 0F. We don't often get much below that and have snow too. I had a block heater installed for the engine.

I am aware of running the engine at around 1500 RPM, not idle. I installed a fast idle on my Dodge Cummins for warm up.

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #8  
I agree.

Start it up..Let idle for like 30 sec to 1 min then kick up to about 1200 rpms...Then let it idle.

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #9  
I ususally let mine idel at about 1200 RPM for about 5 to 10 min before i start to use it in could weather.

/ How long do warm HST in winter? #10  
i do what we do with the farm eq.
let idle for a minute then up the prms as said. then put it in netural. but push on the petal to have the oil mov in the tranny, for a couple of minutes.