How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in?

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #61  
I use a inline heater and oil pan heater, also I make sure the battery is charged before I hit the plugs, I plug the 2 heaters in at night, but have the breaker for the plugins, turn them on in the morning, if I do not want to use it I do not turn the breaker on, l check the top rad hose to see if it is hot if it is, it is time to start the tractor, but my HI is a 1957 it has a bottom hose from the block to the rad for a inline heater and the pan heater warms the oil to 100 so it tuners easy, the temp. out side can be more than 1 check of the top rad hose, they work great together, my way, everyone has their own, but check to make sure the heater is working before it gets cold, better to change it in warm weather, it should have arrows showing how to put it in the hose
Those arrows and having it installed the right way up are essential.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #62  
I had one of the engine heaters that gets cut into the radiator hose. I would plug it in and hour or two before I wanted to start the tractor and it didn't seem to help at all. Did I need to leave it plugged in longer? Like over night? Was it a junk heater? Do they not really work below O degrees? Should I have had a battery heater?
I have a stock block heater from the factory, it needs about 2hrs at 30º F this gives warm air from heater right away (yes its a Cab model) starts up just like regular daytime temp. Biggest problem was finding someone with an Allen wrench large enough to remove the plug.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #63  
Our 1973 John Deere 310 started easily down to the teens/20s (F) with just half an hour on the heater (the type that’s inline with the cooland hose). The heater was pretty high wattage, maybe 1200 if I recall. We usually let it go for an hour or so regardless. It was mostly used for snow plowing here in CT.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #64  
I have a massey ferguson 20c with a 152 cubic inch diesel. I have the block heater in the core plug. It needs about an hour and it will start with out any problems. My case with a 239 diesel and a core plug heater takes 2 hours of being plugged in. When I inquired about a block heater I was told the ones in the hose are no good because they do not put the heat where it is needed the most.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #65  
I have a massey ferguson 20c with a 152 cubic inch diesel. I have the block heater in the core plug. It needs about an hour and it will start with out any problems. My case with a 239 diesel and a core plug heater takes 2 hours of being plugged in. When I inquired about a block heater I was told the ones in the hose are no good because they do not put the heat where it is needed the most.
The in-line heaters work just as well as the core heater.

There is a lot of Mystic Information on plug in heaters.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #66  
I had one of the engine heaters that gets cut into the radiator hose. I would plug it in and hour or two before I wanted to start the tractor and it didn't seem to help at all. Did I need to leave it plugged in longer? Like over night? Was it a junk heater? Do they not really work below O degrees? Should I have had a battery heater?
I know I'm gonna sound real stupid but could you look at heater instructions ? Most if them will not boil your coolant. Of the ones I have installed would not heat over. 45 deg. Most all recommend leave plugged in OVERNIGHT. They all are thermistatic controlled.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #67  
My dealer suggested 20-30 minutes. I've only needed to use it a couple times and the Kubota B 2301 starts right off.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #68  
The block heaters I have used had a sweet spot of 3 hours on time to raise the block temp to around 40 degrees f over ambient.
Less time and the block was not uniformly warm, more time didn't raise the temp any more.
That's about the same results I get on my '94 diesel F350.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #69  
That depends on the engine air intake configuration.

For my tractor, the heat gun just lays on the loader frame and blows right into the air inlet.
Depends on air cleaner. My old tractor had a plastic fins to start the air spinning and the heat gun kinda melted it. :(

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #70